How long can you really hold your breath?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/25/how-long-can-you-really-hold-y.html

3 Likes

How long can you really hold your breath?

About 14 more days.

35 Likes

Until the day Rob Beschizza decides to open his safe

28 Likes

Bonus points for the similar blues…

2 Likes

12 Likes

I’m holding my breath right now.

6 Likes

Posted 2 hours ago. Still holding?

7 Likes

Yes, if you must know.

6 Likes

Does holding someone else’s breath count?

'Cause I’ve got your nose.

6 Likes

Tom Cruise recently said on the Graham Norton Show, that he could hold his breath for 6½ minutes.

3 Likes

When I was in grade school, I used to pass my time in class practicing… The longest that I recall was~3.5 minutes. I don’t think that I’ve tried since.

4 Likes

It would be amusing to watch him do coke with Charlie Sheen.

3 Likes

When I have been doing pranayama exercises I have gotten to several minutes, and I was not even trying to do this as a goal. One of the basics is to breathe more deeply and fully and gradually use more of your lungs. Then practice slow inhales and slow exhales. Then slow inhale, hold, slow exhale, hold. And from there try to further increase the lung capacity and efficiency by gradually increasing the time of these stages. Eventually, if you can get these to several minutes long, then that’s several minutes that you are holding your breath.

Eta: …but be careful doing pranayama in yoga pants if you are more than twenty years old.

8 Likes

(Three hours later) How about now?

3 Likes

is he dead? I don’t hear anything outta him. He dead.

7 Likes

[quote=“art_carnage, post:10, topic:88169, full:true”]
Tom Cruise recently said on the Graham Norton Show, that he could hold his breath for 6½ minutes.
[/quote]Of course he can do it as an Operating Thetan Level OT-7, in the Church of Scientology.

2 Likes

He died doing what he loved.

7 Likes

A few years ago, my then 6 year-old son claimed he could hold his breath for 3 minutes. I promptly slapped my hand over his nose and mouth and pinned him down. He looked truly panicked a mere 15 seconds in so I relented. You make a bold claim in my house - be prepared to back it up.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.