Watch a musician blow a horn longer than humanly possible

Originally published at: Watch a musician blow a horn longer than humanly possible | Boing Boing

4 Likes
7 Likes

When I played the trumpet, I learned that some players can o do that. Not only does an experienced player increase their lung capacity over all, but you can learn to keep playing the note while taking in a quick breath of air through the nose. I don’t recall the actual method, but I knew a guy who could do it. I think you can push out through your mouth with your cheeks while sucking in through your nose.

2 Likes

Came here planning to post the same thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Toot your own horn, ain’t nobody going to toot it for you.

2 Likes

Haha, it was the first thing I thought about when I watched this video! That and the cock pushups, haha!

Kenny G is not impressed…

“Kenny G earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records in 1997 for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. Using circular breathing, Kenny G held an E-flat for 45 minutes and 47 seconds at J&R Music World in New York City.”

9 Likes

Yeah, you basically just use your cheeks as bagpipes.

I’ll bet that Dizzy Gillespie could have broken records just going on a single breath:

1 Like

I was distinctly told to NOT do that when learning the trumpet though. It was bad form.

1 Like

What’s with the guys trying to stop him. Didn’t have much impact on the tooter but have been irritating as hell.

Pretty sure it’s part of the act. Make the audience think they’re watching a performer risking death by performing an amazing feat. I mean he must really be putting everything into that note if he’s freaking out his partner, right?

3 Likes

I can almost blow a conch shell that long, but I’d have to smack that asshole pulling at my arm while doing it. I blew it during a parade once, and as the inevitable head rush came on, I blacked out. When I came to, I discovered that I’d grabbed a friend’s shoulder for support as I went down, but I outweighed him by almost 100lbs. I ended up swinging him in a big circle through the crowd, and I took out almost a dozen people. When I got to my feet, I was in the middle of a swath of people picking themselves up from the dirt. Oops!

1 Like

Yeah, what does that guy Dizzy know? He’ll never make it as a trumpet player.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.