How many holes does a straw have?

Everything always comes down to context, every single time.

5 Likes

Depends on who’s grasping it, I assume?

3 Likes

EweL

3 Likes

One. Topologically, a straw is a doughnut with a single hole.

(A coffee-cup, but the principle is the same.)

12 Likes

Topologically, the same number as a donut or a coffee mug, yes?

5 Likes

Or a record. Vinyl records come back, straws go out. You can’t explain that.

7 Likes

So, what people are saying, is that’s it’s one less than humans?

Probably two less. If you only count the two nostrils, the mouth and the anus as the only appropriate openings*, then topologically, since they’re all linked together, you get the second shape in this figure:

If you grab the north-south hole and widen it, then you get a doughnut with two handles, so the human body has three holes.

*One could argue that the tear ducts count as holes since they link to the oral cavity, in which case the human body can be turned into a five-hole doughnut. Then the eustachian tubes, there’s some argument about. The urethra does not count since the bladder is filled via cell membranes rather than via macroscopic holes, making the urethra not a hole, topologically; if one argues that the molecular gaps in the membranes count as holes then the number is incalculable, I’d say. And don’t start on humans with piercings, okay?

7 Likes

hobbies-leisure-topology-math-topologists-lemonade-mathematician-shrn1364_low

4 Likes

ummm. none?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I have a small one for decoration. I can tell you from experience that getting liquid into Herr Felix Klein’s bottles is far easier than getting it out…unless you have a very flexible straw.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.