How many megabytes to become a Regular on BB

There’s a blue dot next to each post you haven’t read. It takes a couple of seconds to fade, and I think that if you scroll past it too fast, it will still be there if/when you scroll back.

So, yes, a quick scroll will do it, but I don’t think you can be too quick about it.

4 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

My feeling is that once earned, a status should not lapse. I think BB readers need breaks: it’s always been a site that looks jaunty and fancy free, but is often focused on harrowing and stressful political/culture war stuff.

28 Likes

How much mega can a megabyte byte if a megabyte can byte mega?

9 Likes

and yet, you did it : )

5 Likes

True, true, but it’s a bit like asking “how much alcohol would it take to keep me drunk for a month…” Not sure finding out is worthy of bragging rights :smiley:

But, in all fairness, I had clicked on my stats and came across the Discourse levels description, and I wondered how close was to the being a Regular based on my current stats, but AFIK there’s no way to know, because the stat view for posters is cumulative and doesn’t show the rolling 100 day totals that count towards the provisional Regular badge.

So, I decided to spend a few minutes clicking on a bunch of topics I normally would just ignore to see what would happen and with a day or so I got the badge in the mail. I have no idea how close I was or wasn’t before making a deliberate, and time wasting effort to click on topics. Not something I need, of course. But once you have something that you didn’t need or care about it can actually be hard to give up. :frowning: Damn human irrational psychology… Grrr…

3 Likes

so, you didn’t do it. you cheated.

oooooh, I’m telliiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnng

10 Likes

Have some pity on a non-coder. I had to actually click a mouse…

:smile:

5 Likes

I’m sure CodingHorror would love to tell you personally all the details of how to access the API even though you didn’t go to the main Discourse webpage and check the detailed API documentation or read the public convos between him and the coders when they customized the BBS for us.

/Sarc

5 Likes

Don’t forget all the bandwidth wasted on image only replies.

6 Likes

I just read things I’m interested in. Well, that and avidly spectate flamewars (except for gun threads. I skip out of those early now. Blech).

7 Likes

That, and being kept in suspense for months :angry:

7 Likes

You can get pretty close with the [quarterly stats] (Boing Boing BBS).

2 Likes

As an ex-regular (twice!), I would appreciate at least something like a ‘crotchety veteran’ or ‘I could have been a contender’ badge.

14 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking something like an “Emeritus” title that would give you posting rights to the Lounge but none of the other TL3 privileges.

9 Likes

“Detox” would better describe the state.

13 Likes

But not worth the effort, for an ephemeral merit badge.

Honestly, I just looked at the stat pages mentioned here, and BB is tracking less than a third of my visits to the site. If I don’t log in (and I don’t, unless I’m on a reasonably secure network and I want to say something or feel that someone really really deserves a “like”) I’m not taking scripts or cookies, and I have a lot of source IPs… so I’m not getting tracked.

2 Likes

I like these posts; doesn’t mean I actually read them.

11 Likes

12 Likes

You know I send him status updates and TPS reports daily, right?

6 Likes