How Michelin star restaurants cut their onions

Originally published at: How Michelin star restaurants cut their onions | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Like onion jello.

6 Likes

Having a really really sharp knife is very much needed. For me i’m ok with roughly chopped onions, very rarely do i need to cut them into anything finer :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I’m baffled that he lifts the knife on every cut rather than holding the tip against the board and rocking the knife on the tip. Is that the ‘right’ way to use a chef knife? I could never keep a knife steady for chopping without an anchor point.

5 Likes

How to make onion pudding.

2 Likes

Surely you can get the exact same result by just grating them. This just seems like an unreasonable amount of effort for no reason.

…which, I suppose, is par for the course of most Michelin restaurants.

17 Likes

I’m no expert but from what i recall from other vids i’ve seen in the past… The type of knife is going to inform the technique. The technique with rocking the knife is better for the chef’s knife that has more of a curve at the tip like this:

21r60GoUfNL._SX385_1

The one in the vid that he uses seems better suited for a straight up and down chopping technique

16 Likes

Ah yes, the kind of knife that I mentally refer to as a ‘why do they make this kind of knife?’ knife. Possibly other people have more balance and less tremor than I have and so can move a knife in three dimensions reliably.

5 Likes

Apparently the preferred technique varies from country to country. France is a “chopping” country and Germany is a “rocking” country, but unfortunately I don’t know about other countries.

6 Likes

My coordination isn’t great either, but i have nothing to prove with fancy quick knife work. I’ll take my time and carefully make my cuts regardless of what i’m using.

10 Likes

xC07L51
Just be careful around the fingertips

14 Likes

Two hours in a stew, and it doesn’t matter how you cut them.

/sniffs at fast food.

12 Likes

$200 dollar entrees, now I know why, it’s the friggen onions.

9 Likes

I hope he gets enough views to pay for fixing his glasses.

I pretty much do his home technique. Never did understand if the chef want the onions to dissolve into a sauce, why not just puree them in a food processor.

12 Likes

The important part is how to pronounce “onion”. Similar material. How to cut an onion.

2 Likes

Rock-chop is fine for stainless. But with carbon steel knives the edge could groove in to the board and chip when the twist happens with each cycle. So it’s better to lift and push-cut. You can anchor against your knuckles instead. Kitchenknifeforums will go into lots more detail…

27 Likes

Notice how he angles his fingers so that the knife cuts down against the finger nails? That’s crucial for avoiding bloody onions.

(I’m talking about the chef in the OP. Vinnie, on the other hand, is totally doing it wrong)

1 Like

I just cheat and use a device with a sharp grid- slice the onion into rounds, put them on the grid, press down on the lid and perfect diced onion cubes every time. It’s a specialized device that does what a knife could theoretically do, but it’s so much faster and easier that I find it well worth the effort. Also doesn’t require throwing away large chunks of the onion as scrap.

3 Likes

Try picking those onions off your pizza, I dare you.

9 Likes

To save the click -

5 Likes