How much can you get if an airline bumps you?

Originally published at: How much can you get if an airline bumps you? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Note that the quoted text only applies to involuntary bumps, which are actually pretty rare.

The vast majority of the time when a flight is oversold, the airlines will ask for (and find) volunteers to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers good toward a future flight on the airline. If you accept an offer like that, you can’t turn around and demand 200% of your fare in cash, because you accepted the voucher already.

Only if the airlines don’t find volunteers and start unilaterally bumping people involuntarily, do the regulated cash payouts apply.

6 Likes

At 400% of a flight to Europe I might start hoping to get bumped.

1 Like

Prices are projected to go down significantly in the fall. I heard 40%.

1 Like

Early in January, domestic flight in Brazil, I got bumped from late night to early morning.
My refund? Two meal vouchers and covid.

8 Likes

I’m not sure how the value was arrived at, and they could presumably seek to neutralize it by a lobbying push of some kind; but the values are specified by law. There is nothing preventing a carrier from offering more, if they wish to avoid a scene; but the $775 and $1,550 caps are what they are because section 250.5 says 200% of fare or $775 and 400% of fare or $1,550 for the two cases; so they can’t legally go lower without finding someone to voluntarily accept the offer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.