How much is The Simpsons house worth in today's market? A real estate group says $449,900

Originally published at: How much is The Simpsons house worth in today's market? A real estate group says $449,900 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Nothing that close to the Springfield Nuclear Plant sells for more than $1.39.

7 Likes

Is that before or after Zillow stopped investing in the market?

10 Likes

Good thing they bought it in the 80s.

7 Likes

What if it’s in Springfield MA?

5 Likes

It’s almost as bad though, Springfield OR has a huge paper plant. Used to be owned by Weyerhauser but I think some other company runs it now. Stinks up half the town. It was always speculated by locals that if the Simpsons’s Springfield is Springfield, OR, then the nuclear plant was the Weyerhauser plant.

9 Likes

Complicating matters there are a number of less-visible features that might come up during a thorough home inspection, though it’s hard to say whether they would drive the overall value up or down.

Floorboard_gag

11 Likes
7 Likes

Came here to say that. Or, was Zillow ready to make an offer for it in the $550k price range, and expect to sell it 6 weeks later for 20% more than that? Haha, loser MBAs at Zillow, think they know stuff.

4 Likes

I wonder about how much lasting damage there was from that pretty serious looking house fire. Well, good thing for all that asbestos, I guess.

8 Likes

I know that no real Springfield (or state) can have all the amazing things that have been featured on the show (harbors, enormous mountains and canyons, etc.) but to the extent that any real state can be identified they kind of settled that issue (to absolutely nobody’s satisfaction) in the “Behind the Laughter” episode where they explicitly described them as a “Northern Kentucky family.”

So I wonder how much that would affect this estimate? On Zillow most listings for houses in Springfield KY are under $300k.

Here’s a really awesome looking one:

5 Likes

Yeah, that was them basically taking the piss.

Given that almost all of the Simpsons characters and places are based off Matt Groening’s experience growing up in Portland, (including going to highschool here), it’s pretty safe to say that he conceived of it being in Oregon originally.

Obviously where it is is part of the mystique now, but remember… they also drove in a quick outing to Vancouver, BC :smiley:

6 Likes

Yeah, but it was also explicitly ruled out as a location based on where Lisa was pointing on the map of the US in the episode “Much Apu About Nothing.” Bart’s head conveniently blocked the view of most of the map when she was pointing but Oregon was among the states that you could see she definitely wasn’t pointing to. And there are probably hundreds of other details during the show’s run that would eliminate Oregon (and all other real states) as a possible location.

It’s obviously not worth arguing about or spending any mental energy on because the show’s creators explicitly said many times that this Springfield isn’t in any specific state. But they got tired of answering that question so finally settled it once and for all in the episode I referenced.

1 Like

Is there is a sofa/couch in the laundry room?

In the world of used cars, celebrity ownership can often cause a huge price increase. Since this home was owned by super famous people, would that change the asking price?

4 Likes

Probably a bit but maybe not as much as you’d think. Back in 2012 there were sellers struggling to sell the birthplace and childhood home of Walt Disney for just $179k.

3 Likes

> somewhere in the ballpark of $449,900

Love it. Only a marketdroid would consider 449,900 a ‘ballpark’ number. Just say 450k, 'k? Much more ballparkier.

4 Likes

Zillow has the house I was thinking of at $371,900.

3 Likes

It’s weird that the housing division allowed them to build that then required them to later change the color to beige to comply with community standard colors.

3 Likes

Lovely home! Too bad it’s frame, not brick. Too much painting.