Home from Poltergeist for sale

Originally published at: Home from Poltergeist for sale - Boing Boing

horror 1980s GIF

Did they finally move the bodies?

11 Likes

I had assumed that all the interiors were shot on a soundstage, and so this would be like the Brady house and just interesting to fans on the outside, but I saw the photos of the kitchen and realized that at least some of it was filmed on location. Then I remembered the scenes where they’re interacting with the work crew through the kitchen windows.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen these movies in years, but when I saw them in the theatre (when they were originally released) I thought they were the same house since their entranceways were similar.

They’re not.

4 Likes

I can’t even think about Poltergeist without reflecting on how brilliant Zelda Rubinstein was–the first time I saw it I expected the credits to roll right after she said “This house is clean”–but more importantly how she was an early advocate for confronting AIDS. She said that cost her some work but doing good was what mattered to her.

15 Likes

Do they offer remote viewings?

3 Likes

All that said, I don’t understand how this house is even listed for sale given it imploded as it was sucked into a portal at the end of the film. See below:

[included video]

I like how the front walkway lights are still lit, despite the house being utterly destroyed.
(Aren’t those lights powered by wires connecting to the now gone house?)

3 Likes

Is there going to be an open house?

Tobe Hooper Horror GIF by filmeditor

5 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like they finally finished the pool!

john goodman mud GIF by David Firth

4 Likes

Since there’s no direct link to the listing in the article, I visited realtor.com® and subjected myself to all 113 single family homes for sale in that suburban paradise named Simi Valley.

They really are much of a muchness. If I counted right, only 7 (including one at $4M and the $14M one) do not have the garage in front. They look to have been built right around the same time, and most appear to have been designed by the same company. Two expensive ones (well, they’re all expensive) just look like boring AF ranches.

The prices are of course utterly haywire. The least expensive ones are over $600K, and look like they should be about half that. The million-dollar homes look like half million-dollar ones. The $12 $4 and $14M ones look like they cost waaay less than that to build.

Edited to fix my errror.

3 Likes

Location, location, location - those are the ones where they actually did move the bodies.

6 Likes

Ah, this explains much.

Here’s a $1.7M home what looks like it has about a meter of space between it and its neighbors. Classy!

ETA:
Here’s the link to the 7 bedroom, 8.5+ bath $14M Mediterranean monstrosity.

“This 11,719 sq. ft. Presidential Palace overlooking the Ronald Reagan Library rests on a 10 acre lot.”

“The driveway leads you up to the motor court, and the over 2,300 sq ft of garages that are able to accommodate 9 vehicles.”

Well, at least our house is bigger than that fucking garage, at 2,521 sq ft.

3 Likes

3 + 3 = 6 m

§ 6 - Abstandsflächen

(1) Vor den Außenwänden von Gebäuden sind Abstandsflächen von oberirdischen Gebäuden freizuhalten. […]

[…]

(5) Die Tiefe der Abstandsflächen beträgt 0,4 H, mindestens 3 m. In Gewerbe- und Industriegebieten genügt eine Tiefe von 0,2 H, in Kerngebieten von 0,25 H, jedoch jeweils mindestens 3 m. Zu öffentlichen Verkehrs-, Grün- und Wasserflächen beträgt die Tiefe der Abstandsfläche in Kerngebieten und urbanen Gebieten 0,2 H, mindestens 3 m. Zu angrenzenden anderen Baugebieten gilt die jeweils größere Tiefe der Abstandsfläche. Vor den Außenwänden von Wohngebäuden der Gebäudeklassen 1 und 2 mit nicht mehr als drei oberirdischen Geschossen genügt als Tiefe der Abstandsfläche 3 m. Werden von einer städtebaulichen Satzung oder einer Satzung nach § 89 Außenwände zugelassen oder vorgeschrieben, vor denen Abstandsflächen größerer oder geringerer Tiefe als nach den Sätzen 1 bis 3 liegen müssten, finden die Sätze 1 bis 3 keine Anwendung, es sei denn, die Satzung ordnet die Geltung dieser Vorschriften an.

1 Like

Sold!

4 Likes

Must be nice.

I don’t know why so many places here in Yankistan have houses built practically in each other’s laps. Capitalism, no doubt.

Well, we do have terraces and duplexes. And buildings erected before 1960/1962 (when there was the great reform & harmonisation of building codes and zoning laws) that are grandfathered in.

1 Like

Well-built and -thought-out terraces can be quite nice. There are two sets of V nice ones on the same block where my Grandma lived, one of whom wraps around the corner. Both brick, probably 1920s or a little earlier, and at least one has three storeys. I poked around in one of the non-wrapping-around-the-corner joints when it came up for sale on realtor dot com®, and it was awfully cool. It had lotsa vasty windows, pretty un-painted woodwork, no recessed lighting, and even still had all its interior walls. I think it was around 2000 sq ft, too. The third terrace on her former block wraps around another corner; those are smaller, and were orig middle class housing.

Some multi-family homes are also quite civilized; we have many sprinkled around in our neighborhood. They’re spacious, well landscaped, and have more than a meter of space between them and their neighbors.

Edited b/c spelingg is hard

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.