How much keyboard latency can you take?

That was my reaction too. 350ms latency was no problem in that demo, after the low-baud-rate high-latency terminal mode connections I’ve used earlier in life.

I not only type easily completely free of feedback, I can recognize I’ve made a typo, back up and correct it, and continue before anything displays. If I’m not sure what I mistyped, then I just pause and wait for the whole line to display before correcting it.

It’s just a different typing mode to get into.

Ironically, due to some glitch in Discourse/Firefox/Noscript, I can’t see the cursor or highlighted text when typing here, so it’s a closely related experience when it comes to editing this reply.

2 Likes

For some reason adblock app on iOS has horribel latency that lets me type about 10 characters ahead. I no longer use it for anything other than a few sites with horribly annoying ads like one that I get to by autocompleting the letter b. For commenting it is back to chrome, what a pain.

There’s an option (enabled by default, of course!) in the version of the Office suite that they make us use at work which makes the cursor move smoothly as you type, each letter slipping into existence like the magician is slowly pulling back the curtain.

It made me feel nauseous. Whose idea was that?

5 Likes

Yeah this is my experience as well. I’m super bothered by UI latency but VSCode seems…perfectly fine? It’s definitely a large sight better than Visual Studio proper, which I always found to be just inherently laggy.

1 Like

source insight.

while the default fonts are chaotic evil, if you’re dealing with any c-like language and youre on windows and you don’t mind paying a few dollars and you trust the recommendations of random commenters, it’s entirely chaotic neutral territory(*)

there’s no windows editor that can load projects of hundreds or thousands of files so fast and, if you turn off autocomplete, it enters text like a dream. which is a ridiculous thing to have to say in 2019

(*) which is to say: if someone tries it, and they don’t like it… they’re obviously using it wrong :cat:

1 Like

hey wait. ( ouch. no pun ) didn’t they introduce qwerty to slow people down?

You mean it’s for fishmalks and jerks who were “just playing their character” when they deliberately ruin everyone else’s fun?

(Sorry, the alignment wars left a mark on me I guess)

Quite the reverse. The QWERTY layout moved groups of letters which occurred together commonly in writing apart, preventing their type bars from colliding when they were typed in quick succession.

Other post-typewriter layouts might be able to achieve better typing speeds freed of the need to accommodate this mechanical restriction.

I use Vim nearly exclusively and I agree completely. There’s something arcane and deeply satisfactory in it’s modal interface, macros and single key commands.
I wrote my PhD thesis in Vim, with typesetting in LaTeX.

I use Awesome WM - it’s extremely fast, minimalist and has really good keyboard shortcuts (so good that there’s no need for any kind of window decorations and they can be disabled, saving screen area on smaller displays).

1 Like

I have the same problem, and for me clicking outside the comment area and then again inside it makes the cursor reappear.

Same here. No lag at all typing in VS Code on both Windows and Mac.

1 Like

This. A million times, this. Too many devs with too much time on their hands with too much job insecurity leads to breaking visible things that didn’t need fixing and not fixing invisible things that needed improving.

2 Likes

I remember that there was a key on the DECwriter to move the carriage out of the way to see what you just typed. And of course REAL latency is the time between handing in your stack of cards and getting your printout back.

I am amused that as the QWERTY keyboard was designed around the mechanism of of typewriters rather than ergonomics, the same is true of Linotype keyboards. THEY were designed with the most common letters in order on the left so that those matrices (individual molds for each letter) were returned to the magazine most quickly.

3 Likes

PROTIP: look at the keyboard to avoid latency issues.

2 Likes

Latency doesn’t matter, as long as you have a loud, heavy, mechanical keyboard to type with. That’s what the internet has taught me.

Like you, I hate this. There’s a registry key you can tweak to turn this off. (It also has a side effect of making Office much faster overall.)

2 Likes

Latency and/or input lag is why I can’t stand most touchscreen interfaces, especially those in cars.

This mechanical typewriter is better than the Brother electronic typewriter we used to have (for reference, around the time that Goonies came out).

Dan Luu’s research on this subject is exhaustive and fascinating: https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

There’s a reasonably easy flip side to see to this which is ‘why are you wasting time on these tiny things I don’t care about instead of Feature XYZ I requested six months ago?’

Where does txt.fyi fit on that chart?

Also I am with @tyroney I find keyboard latency not so much of a pain as waiting for menus or some process to finish so I can properly type in the right application.

2 Likes