How scary is the sound of an Aztec death whistle?

Anything’s spooky if you hype it up right (creaking doors, echoing footsteps, wind), and I’m sure this would be an upsetting sound to hear if you knew it heralded nearby killer Aztecs, but in itself… ehh.

It is interesting, though, to imagine the headspace of pre-electronic media environments where the only way to hear an unfamiliar sound was in the physical presence of the specific, esoteric thing that made that sound. Idiophone construction is an obscure skill even today, so you can imagine whistles and bells being imbued with magical qualities.

This reminds me of Whistle and I’ll Come to You:

But even more so of The Shout, a strange 1978 movie where John Hurt meets a stranger who claims to have learned an Australian Aboriginal “terror shout” that will kill anyone in earshot. (Spoiler: yes, you do hear the sound in the movie, kind of)

4 Likes

aww. hello kitty’s not that bad

Hello Kitty Cat GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

6 Likes

Was it this file? I’m printing one anyway so I guess I’ll see if it’s any good…

4 Likes

She doesn’t have a mouth

3 Likes

Wow. I do not like that sound. It works.

6 Likes

hello kitty GIF

:wink:

3 Likes

Unfortunately for the Aztec people only one side had war horses during the final years of their empire and it wasn’t them.

7 Likes

Mutant Guinea Hogs, then.

5 Likes

That will be stuck in my head all night now!

6 Likes

That’s the one I printed

5 Likes
2 Likes

More convenient than carrying a frog, but not nearly as cute.

now I want 3d printed budgett “whistle”

3 Likes

Regarding “Whistle And I’ll Come To You”; Michael Hordern is such a lovely actor.

7 Likes

The comment section for the print has some gems

6 Likes

Nobody actually knows how they were used. My guess it they were to draw out people to be sacrificed because they answered the call of death.

5 Likes

Crowds at Aztec ball sport games. They’d make vuvuzelas seem pretty tame.

3 Likes

Brit films involvimng ghosts (ex: The Uninvited) have a style and eeriness that others can’t match. I’ll need to check this one out.

4 Likes

And yet her favorite food is cake!

5 Likes

Conversely, whenever I emulate the multi-tonal chant of these Tibetan Lamas, my daughter pleads for me to stop. It is like the death chant for our relationship. “Papa, don’t…”

7 Likes

When she was little, my daughter was terrified of the sound of Beethoven’s 5th symphony as used in Disney’s Fantasia, and the Philip Glass music for Koyaanisquatsi.

8 Likes