How scary is the sound of an Aztec death whistle?

Both superb, unsettling films.

5 Likes

Have you seen “The Innocents”; a version of “A Turn of the Screw” from 1961. I found it very eerie.

What does that feel like?

4 Likes

That’s the one.

3 Likes

I attended a live chant performance when some of the monks were on tour and am amazed that they can sustain the chant for so long. I feel like I need to develop more cardio-vascular stamina. But the brief chant does give me some confidence to apply the low end of my vocal range.

4 Likes

LOL!!! I once asked a friend how his 8-year-old daughter reacted when (inevitably) he had her listen to ELP’s “Toccata”. She called it, “scary music”.

5 Likes

(Risk here for getting all this moved to the 'filmgoers thread.)

Yes! We’ve seen The Innocents. Excellent film-making! I first saw it on cable long ago. My wish for a blu-ray treatment (Criterion, again) came true a few years ago; the B&W photography is gorgeous and adds to the ‘depth’. Recommendation: The 2-DVD [much less expensive on eBay] anthology Shades of Darkness - Six Mysterious Tales of the Paranormal. Brits, again!!! My favorite from the bunch is ‘The Intercessor’.

3 Likes

No! No! No! God, no! NOT THE FILMGOERS THREAD! Anything but that!

4 Likes

Let’s play with scaling it up a little? I can get it to howl pretty well but I wonder if scaling it larger would get a scarier sound? I’m going for 1.5% bigger in ABS on a Replicator 1 for the next print. I’ll report back.

4 Likes

Cool! I came up with the name for a public address system/musical instrument/sonic weapon; maybe this larger Death Whistle could be the Omegaphone!

3 Likes

The original size works best, it’s hard to sustain the sound on the 1.5 scale.

I learned how to properly blow in it and the original size is pretty terrifying sounding.

3 Likes

I won’t even watch documentaries about Tut’s Tomb so I won’t catch a curse, I’m certainly not listening to a death whistle.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.