How small a hole will this cat squeeze through?

Originally published at: How small a hole will this cat squeeze through? | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Definitely more fun to watch than the rodent version of this test! :rat::hole: :pouting_cat:

14 Likes

I’m going to go ahead and say our cats couldn’t fit through those holes.

13 Likes

What bait was used or is a hole sufficient temptation for a cat to try to go through?
Does the cat realize the hole is getting smaller or think he/she is getting bigger?

5 Likes

I can’t believe the running start didn’t work. :laughing:

But these are the true masters of squeezing through tiny holes:

9 Likes

Quite surprised that the cat tried to run throught the smallest hole, wasn’t expecting that at all.

5 Likes

So we’re gaslighting cats now? Oh. It’s a female cat. That figures.

2 Likes

And there’s the advantage of a ‘floating’ shoulder girdle (no collarbone) over our humanly attached to the spine system: squeeze and reach. The downside is they don’t have the pull/push leverage we do. Let’s see you throw into the end-zone (or chuck a spear) there Mr Mittens.

6 Likes

They’re really better at catching :wink:

8 Likes

Sometimes the whiskers say “no” but the heart says “f*ck that big hairless freak who’s trying to mess with me!”

8 Likes

So, Phillipe Gaston – aka The Mouse, is still reigning champion?

2 Likes

Gives the lie to the received wisdom that a cat knows that if its whiskers won’t fit without touching, the rest of it won’t fit. (Assumes ‘normal’ - i.e. not over-fed, fat domestic cat.)

ETA Or what @gracchus said.

4 Likes

maru sliding GIF

15 Likes

Ugh, you reminded me of that creepy Twilight Zone episode! :fearful:

2 Likes

I wonder if the cat realizes the hole is getting smaller, or the cat perhaps instead worries it’s rapidly gaining weight.

1 Like

Newborn babies everywhere are like “hell yeah, I got ya beat cat! I can fit through a 10cm opening like it’s my job.”

Peace be to the mothers with babies who took a running start, though.

8 Likes

With my cat, the secret is to start with her at the top of the stairs and me at the bottom. Then she’ll catch a ball and drop it to roll back down to me.

Also: she’s only 6.5 lbs, so I imagine she’d be able to go through even smaller holes than the cat in this video, but in practice probably wouldn’t bother.

1 Like

It looks like the “wall” was made out of cardboard, so I think the cat could’ve gotten through quite easily, if it really wanted to. “What shredded cardboard? I don’t see any shredded cardboard.”

So, 11cm works. 10cm is too small. Clearly the experiment should have continued: the next hole being 10.5cm

If successful, make the hole 10.25cm. If unsuccessful, make the hole 10.75cm.

Keep going, halving the distance until you find the precise catflection point of the hole size. (This will take an infinite amount of time, and cats, but it’s worth it!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.