How Star Wars fans made Mandalorians cool

Originally published at: How Star Wars fans made Mandalorians cool | Boing Boing

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I kinda dug the obvious tribute to Ray Harryhausen’s Kraken with one of the creatures in the new show. Although the resemblance was perhaps a little too on-the-nose.

I’m not sure how I feel about the Boston Dynamics robot cameos/product-placement. kinda cool but also a little obvious, therefore distracting. Maybe they should have dressed them up a little more.

5 Likes

First episode “Boba Fett” was good.

3 Likes

Fans who helped make Mandalorians cool?

I will have to listen later - I have to finish this BS training I put off all year to tick a box for annual review.

But I will say, fans have been clamoring for more Mandalorians for a long time. Way back in the original marvel Comics run with issue 68, we meet two Mandalorian commandos who used to run with Boba Fett. The cover design has been used in several shirt designs since then.

I remember this awesome interior spread. Sorry the large image I found was the new digital colors, which always look garish compared to the comics printed on low quality paper.

Here to compare - though you can’t see the detail:

As for the first episode of the new show: Wasn’t blown away or anything, but I really liked it. Was super surprised to see Matt Berry in the credits, and had to rewind to figure out he is playing 8D8 (or similar droid). This makes two IT Crowd alumni to play droids in the new Star Wars shows, with Richard Ayoade playing the mercenary pilot droid Zero. We just need Chris O’Dowd to play a technician droid, asking if you have turned it off and back on again, Noel Fielding to play a depressed protocol droid, and Katherine Parkinson to play maybe a droid who is part of local bureaucracy.

Agree with above about it was neat to see the homage to Harryhausen. I will have to go back and look at the robots - I assumed they were CGI, but if they were practical effects, eh, I am there for it.

2 Likes

Boston Dynamics confirmed it in a tweet. I assume they provided them to Lucasfilm for free.

2 Likes

Mandalorians only worked because of one thing.

7 Likes

Wait, do you mean that is NOT a Thark? I took that as an homage to ERB’s Tharks.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s both!

4 Likes

Flesh Gordon, 1974:

Flesh_Gordon_-_Satyr

3 Likes

i first read the headline as “how fans made midichlorians cool” and wow was i confused :microbe:

1 Like

I accidentally rented this movie for my 16th birthday party and my parents still haven’t forgiven me (it was a genuine accident!)

4 Likes

Man started watching that video and all the made up war philosophy of survival of the fittest starts sounding a lot like nazi eugenics…

1fc7933a5db6bdbd4f006ba813207624

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.