How state anti-choice laws let judges humiliate vulnerable teens

The auto industry doesn’t mean everyone in it works for the same company.

I work in the adoption industry (part-time, as a consultant in a medical practice created specifically for adoptive families). There is a parallel universe of medical and other scientific studies, legal cases, and cautions from those who have long-term experience which is almost entirely invisible to adoptive and potential adoptive families. There are those who are doing the research to help their families, which is a great sign, but they’re still quite rare.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the comparison I was objecting to. The auto industry is fairly monolithic, which is how they’ve prevented non-industry cars from flourishing. At one time, the DuPont family controlled all the factories making cars in the USA, and even now the boards of directors are drawn from a particular socio-economic set which has always had a fairly consistent set of motives and incentives. (Until Musk hit the jackpot with Paypal, that is; he’s doing things successfully that a hundred others were crushed for attempting.)

There’s no comparable consistency of control, motive, behavior, or opportunity among the many entities working with adoption issues. Instead, they are all firing off in all directions at once. You see what I mean? It’s not an industry in the sense Americans usually mean by that when they say some industry is preventing something or enabling something. When it’s used that way, the implication is conspiracy, although perhaps not legally actionable conspiracy.

Edit: Rereading this, I see I am making semantic quibbles. Thanks for explaining your comment!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.