How the appearance of the Aeropress coffee maker has changed over time

Not trying to change how you use your Aeropress, but I find the solution to the “water seeps through immediately” problem is:

a) add a tablespoon or two of hot water to the grounds and wait ~30 seconds to let it saturate the grounds; if you get too much immediate dripping, use less water for the bloom); and

b) after filling to desired level, stir a few times (no more than 5 seconds) and then put the plunger in but don’t push down; this will seal the tube and hold the water in.

And no need to steep for more than 30 seconds; the longer the steep, the more bitter the result. If I recall, the inventor’s main goal was to create a method that put all the coffee grounds and all the water together for as short of time required. 'Course, if you like bitter coffee, steep as long as you like!

Also, if you like more “body” in your coffee, use the metal filter (available separately); the paper filter blocks the oils from getting into the cup. This is one of the big differences between French press and paper-filter drip. Just be careful with the metal filter; the edges on mine are sharp enough to be dangerous in the wash-water. Treat it like a sharp knife!

If you can’t tell, I’m an Aeropress fan. I’m pretty sure I read about it here on BB from Mark. I think I have both of the 1st and 2nd generation clear ones. I rotate between drip/French press/Clever pour-over/Aeropress for my main fix, and Bialetti or espresso machine for afternoon cups. As with beer, the best coffee I’ve had is the one in my hand.

I like coffee. One of my favorite drugs. If they ever definitively determine coffee is bad for you, I’m checking out. Done. Fin.

4 Likes

Both of mine (1st & 2nd version, clear) are made so when the plunger is pushed all the way into the cylinder, the rubber gasket sits in a slightly larger diameter part of the cylinder at the bottom (right above where the filter holder screws on. Very compact and doesn’t ruin the gasket.

all these positive comments, you can’t buy that kind of press

3 Likes

Both this article and AeroPress neglected to mention that there’s actually three additional colours made.

Every year, the company makes a competition-only run of gold, silver, and bronze AeroPress brewers that are presented as trophies to national winners of World AeroPress Championship events.

www.worldaeropresschampionship.com

1 Like

My morning routine:
Put half Bagel in toaster
Fill coffee cup with water and put in microwave 1 minute 30.
Load upside down Aeropress with one and a half scoops French Roast.
Pour water from coffee cup into press and stir a bit, and press at one minute back into still hot cup.
Ding! Toast is ready after the coffee is. No waiting around watching some infernal machine drip.

While this morning routine is hard to screw up, I have put an empty coffee cup in the microwave or forgotten to push the button on the toaster. I’m not a morning person.

2 Likes

The same thing happened to the first one I bought about six years ago, which I found in a cigar shop in Switzerland after a lengthy hunt. I think the manual says not to store it like that. Now I wash it immediately and store it properly.

2 Likes

Definition of infernal machine
: a machine or apparatus maliciously designed to explode and destroy life or property; especially : a concealed or disguised bomb

You must have some serious beans.

1 Like

I once put the electric kettle on the stovetop. I now keep a griddle there, not so I can make bacon anytime.

1 Like

(Good pun.) Was thinking the same, but it is hard to complain about something so good. I have been using two for several years now and continue to be impressed with the simplicity of the device, relative low cost, and the superior results.

If there is a drawback, it is that making coffee for lots of guests is a bit time-consuming. I’ve resurrected my pour-over filter/carafe setup for those occasions, as a result. Ok, the markings have rubbed off my newer press (circa 2014). I store them disassembled so gaskets are good as new and no cracking issues so far.

Coming from using an automatic brewer with pre-ground, store-bought beans to where I am now, I’d say the biggest single improvement in my coffee was switching to home roasting, as the freshness and quality of the roast (not over-roasting) is key. I buy single origin green beans and roasting a week’s worth of beans in the oven on a perforated pizza pan. The second best improvement is using the aeropress. My fancy grinder and temp controlled kettle are nice, but easily I’d give them up to keep the fresh roast and aeropress (which happens when I travel–I pre-grind my beans and travel with them and the aeropress.)

The biggest problem with this coffee-snobbery lifestyle is that it has put me off buying bad coffee not to mention coffee at a friend’s house.

I don’t claim to know the truth in this matter (the whole endocrine disruptor toxicology thing is very complicated), but in an EU commission study of 277 baby bottles in 2011 the seven analyzed Tritan bottles did not leach “anything”:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7557/7327a6c0b7851a438b4a35aca287eed530d0.pdf

The migration testing from the seven bottles tested of this material did not reveal detectable
substances

To me this is a very good result and to me it is strange that they don’t mention this in the article.

3 Likes

Most Americans don’t have electric kettles (I found out about 5 years ago and still can’t comprehend it). Something to do with the 100V-ish power supply being too low for heating elements to boil water quickly.

1 Like

Oh, pshaw. I chew the beans as is. On my days off I occasionally take the time to roast them first.

1 Like

Yep, you’re totally right. I have the newest version (with the gold foil lettering) and the manual says:

Important: Always eject the used coffee right after brewing (yes, before enjoying your cup) and store your AeroPress with the plunger pushed all the way in. This keeps the seal free of compression for long life.

I have to say, I was an AeroPress skeptic when I first saw it (too many parts! gimmicky!) but I am a total convert. Coffee tastes great, easy cleanup, almost no waste.

Thanks!

Agreed. I have a 6 cup chemex for those.

I should try an aeropress, at least for camping! Looks perfect for that.

Heating water in the microwave inside of the piston? What on earth for? Use an electric kettle like a sensible person.

The main problem with “BPA-free” and other industrially manufactured products is n̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶. there are contradicting studies that lack a clear consonance as to the safety and health effects of theses products over a long period of time. After doing some searching on another bpa free product I kept seeing the CA prop 65 warning popping up. So I went down the rabbit hole to find out why. My take away was that BPA-free as a selling point & marketing pitch should be taken with some healthy skepticism.

Also this study of baby bottles being filled and drained is a much gentler use of the product. The aeropress by its nature has a few other forces being applied. Heck, I own an aeropress and many other plastic products. In certain situation it works great but I don’t think it should be used as your daily driver.

you remain unconvinced != nobody knows

I’m a toxicologist. My detox systems did not evolve with that chemical in the food chain, because it did not exist in nature. I know that much.

Also this study of baby bottles being filled and drained is a much gentler use of the product. The aeropress by its nature has a few other forces being applied.

I suggest you design and implement your own studies, your mastery of the concepts put the experts to shame.

It appears to be a sound study of baby bottles. Just pointing out the fact that this product is used differently than how that test was preformed. Sorry I’m just a simple layman but you’re the toxicologist so how about you do this new study?

1 Like

I visit the BB forum to learn. I use an Aeropress pretty regularly. @anon30760835, you’re a toxicologist by profession. @MrHarley, you’re a curious layman like myself.

Let’s get started!

@anon30760835: the press tends to distort the implications of research discoveries in this arena (and every other applied science). What caveats and questions should we, the lay-readers, have in mind when we see these stories?

2 Likes

The microwave is perfect for a single cup, just heat it in that cup so that when you press it back into the cup, its still hot and not sucking the heat out of your fresh coffee.