How the appearance of the Aeropress coffee maker has changed over time

My main issue with using my aeroproess is that I have to wait too long for the coffee to be a drinkable temperature, so that definitely doesn’t apply for me. Besides, coffee should be brewed at ~92C, which is easily controllable in a kettle (switch it off once the water starts bubbling visibly), but nigh impossible in a microwave. Getting it down to ~65 or so for drinking as fast as possible after brewing is only a good thing.

In my opinion the kind of temperature control your speaking of is mythical, you probably lose >10 degrees just in the pouring process. I believe my temperature is fairly consistent in that my starting water is always room temperature.

Of course preferred serving temperature is personal, in fact I’m unusual in my circles in taking coffee black, most people around here will be putting dairy product of some kind in that cools it off. My wife likes lattes and will microwave the milk to serving temperature.

1 Like

Pouring it into a cup, sure, but not into a plastic aeropress. The thermal conductivity of that plastic is not exactly stellar, and even if you’d lose some temperature during the pour, the difference should be negligible - unless you’re purposely pouring a tiny thin stream over a very long distance.

Still, you’ve now at least half-way inspired me to do a thermally controlled coffee brewing test :stuck_out_tongue: I have at least a couple of thermometers lying around that can be put to use here. I could even do a three-step measure: in-kettle, in-aeropress, and in-cup. Suppose I’ll see if I can be bothered to do this tomorrow - doing a project before having my coffee is a tall order.

Yay, science! I actually have a double digital thermometer with remote sensors I got this year for diagnosing hydronic heating issues. It could read simultaneously the temperature in the pot and the cup during the pour! Unfortunately it doesn’t log the temps, but I could video it.

1 Like

I did a quick-and-dirty test with a cooking thermometer this morning. Definitely can’t vouch for the accuracy, as this isn’t a quick-read thermometer, and it did take some time to settle, especially in the press. Anyhow, the water went from 96 C in the kettle (pretty sure of that reading) to 88 C in the Aeropress (some time passed here, had to move the probe + add the coffee, but should be negligible), to 75 C in the mug. So I suppose the truth was somewhere in between us - a bigger drop from kettle to aeropress than I expected, but still a larger drop after pressing into a room-temp mug.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I first got my Aeropress I didn’t know (or ignored as “not necessary frippery”) about blooming the grounds, and it definitely solves the seeping-through issue. The flip-technique is just habit now, though :slight_smile:

Good point, I’ve actually been experimenting with steeping times and water temperatures. I remember seeing some threads/notes from the inventor talking about his preference for lower-than-boiling temperatures for a less-bitter cup. Shorter steeping and lower temps do seem to make for a sweeter brew.

I’ve been using one of these, which seals the sharp edges and does a good job of filtering any particles. The coffee oils debate is one I’m a little uncertain of; I know it’s sort of an ongoing conversation as to whether the oils are essential for flavor or if they’re something contributing to bitterness that are better filtered out.

1 Like

Electric kettles are one of those things that seemed utterly unnecessary (I have a perfectly good stove for heating water and a microwave, why do I need a single-use thing just for heating water taking up valuable counter space?) but it’s probably my most-used appliance.

1 Like

Single-use appliances are great as long as the task they perform is one you need often. Boiling water tends to be one of those things. Having to get out a pan, fill it, put it on the stove, turn on the stove, wait, turn off the stove, empty out the pot, and set it to dry - yeah, that’s quite a few steps too many for something I at least do 5-6-7 times a day. Of course, you can leave your “water pot” on the stove constantly, but that’s just messy, and still doesn’t give you the safety and convenience of thermal shutoff switches and rapid boiling (my kettle has the same wattage as the largest zone on my cooktop, which would require a ridiculously oversized pan for a cup - or even a pot! - of coffee).

2 Likes

I’ve never gotten comfortable with the flip technique - getting the cylinder to sit level on the plunger (so that it doesn’t tip when I fill it with water and stir) is too much of a hassle, and not worth the risk of a horrible clean-up if it tips over. Coffee in, water in, stir (if necessary, usually the pour “stirs” enough for me), put the plunger in and let sit. A few drops get through, but that doesn’t matter. Easy, clean, zero risk of spills.

As for brewing time, for coffee as finely ground as a proper Aeropress grind should never steep for more than 30 seconds.

1 Like

Oddly enough, electric kettles are ubiquitous in Canada, which has the same 120V system as the US. Most are rated at about 1500 watts, so if 240V kettles are higher wattage they should boil faster. Either way, they are definitely faster than a stovetop, and more convenient.

1 Like

I tried the upside down technique. Too much room for error on my part. I’m a klutz.

I’m not sure there needs to be a debate over filtering out the oils or not. In matters of taste, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the pointer to the non-lethal steel filters. Added to my next order.

That indeed sounds silly. But messing with heating more water than you actually need in single use gadget is far more complex than microwaving in 1.5 minutes exactly the right amount in the cup you’ll be drinking out of.

Our kitchen is not small by city standards, but between my daughter’s smoothie blender and my seltzer maker, there’s no room for gadget redundant with both the stove and microwave.

1 Like

My problem with upside down technique is that grinds can get into the grooves where filter holder screws in, (I can’t find my funnel-- probably should order a new one.) In the meantime, I have a one of those air blasters normally used for cleaning camera lenses…

Most kettles here in Norway are 2000W (suitable for a standard 10A circuit breaker), but there are 3000W models available for those of us with 15A breakers in our kitchens. I got one of those last year, and the improvement in boiling time is very noticeable. The difference between 1500W and 2000W should be bearable, though.

1 Like

Why not just use the spoon that came with the press (which gives the perfect amount of coffee for a full cylinder)? It’s sized perfectly so that you can get your coffee in there without spilling.

1 Like

… and coffee grounds all over the kitchen (NTTAWWT)?

I need the funnel. Even though you’re correct about the sizing of the spoon, I inevitably spill coffee grounds all over the kitchen. NTTAWWT…

1 Like

My US circuit breaker is a mix of 15A and 20A. back when I paid attention to “Home Theater” forums, some people were upgrading to 20A circuits throughout.

My electric kettle is 1500W. It’s fine.

I’m pretty sure all current US codes require 12 gauge, 20 amp circuits for kitchen counters in new construction. Those of us who live in older areas with lots of ancient wiring should be wary of hi current appliances. You would not believe some of the terrifying DIY wiring I have ripped out of walls and ceilings!

1 Like

One advantage of the Aeropress is its portability. Some places I’ve been have had a microwave but no kettle.

Places with 220v 10A circuits and lots of tea drinkers are my favorite to visit (China, UK). There are kettles everywhere you go and the water boils SO FAST (2kW kettles vs typical American 1kW). If I ever can afford to own a home, I’d like to install a high-power circuit in the kitchen expressly for heating water for coffee.

Typical American hotel rooms, where the only means of heating water is often a cheap, underpowered, and poorly-cleaned drip machine, are the pits.

Edit:

I am intensely jealous.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.