How the GOP's simplified Border Adjustment Tax will be instantly riddled with loopholes

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/08/complexity-is-complicated.html

2 Likes

instantly riddled with loopholes

A TGOP speciality.

9 Likes

You know it, because there is no way Walmart is paying an extra 20%-25% for the stuff in their stores. When push comes to shove our elected leaders listen to corporate America, so mark my words, there will be no border adjustment tax.

4 Likes

Stopped clock, etc. etc.

5 Likes

Nobody knew that international trade could be so complicated.

10 Likes

None dare call it a tariff.

2 Likes

“the US dollar is supposed to rise by up to 25%”
WTF, GOP? I know most of these guys believe in various forms of economic and metaphysical voodoo, but this is absurd. Where is this bit even coming from?

Shh, if they don’t call it one, none of the other countries will notice!

3 Likes

Surely they do, but even if they didn’t do you think people would be happy with a 20% to 25% bump in WalMart’s prices? In this particular area “big business” and “the people” are going to have a remarkably similar opinion. (ok, so some people are well enough payed that they don’t need to shop at WalMart, and that’s cool, but an awful lot of people buy from WalMart not because they enjoy the bright colors and super crowded aisles, but because stuff is cheep there and it stretches all too tight dollars)

Don’t call it a TARIFF
It’s been there for years
I’m mocking my peers
Puttin’ poor folk in fear
Makin’ the tears rain down like a audit
Listen to the price go boom
Explosions, overpowerin’
Over the competition I’m towerin’
Wrecking shops when I write these orders
That’ll make you call yo Reps
Don’t you dare stare, you better move
Don’t ever compare
Me to the rest that’ll all get sliced and diced
U.S. Taxpayer’s payin’ the price
I’m gonna tax your dough
Donny said tax your dough
I’m gonna tax your dough
I’m gonna tax your dough
I’m gonna tax your dough

4 Likes

At first I read that quoted paragraph as being something Trump said, and was mightily confused by his sudden ability to use vocabulary and syntax above a fourth-grade level.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.