After Trump nicknames himself "Tariff Man" the stock market plunges

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/04/after-trump-nicknames-himself.html

5 Likes

41 Likes

he warned that if the deal didn’t happen, he was a “Tariff Man.”

Trump nicknames himself “Tariff Man”

Is there any point in suggesting that this might be a bit of a stretch?

6 Likes

Well, if THIS doesn’t finally get the GOP going in the right direction…

9 Likes

You’re correct. He is not a man.

18 Likes

If I only had a five-cent tariff for every Republican who said they support Trump because he is a free-market capitalist.

43 Likes

Sung to the tune of Particle Man

‘Tariff Man, Tariff Man,
Doing the things a Tariff Man can,
What’s he like? Hes SO important
He’s Tariff Man…’

So on and so forth… create your own, it’s fun!

23 Likes

But the groups who pay the tariffs are the importers, in the purchasing company, not the government of the country the good come from. So he’s levying taxes against American businesses.

It’s an amazing way to keep raising taxes on corporations by scapegoating a foreign government. So he can give tax cuts, then rake it back in from all the companies he doesn’t like and blame China for it. Is this so dumb that it spins all the way back around to strangely brilliant?

23 Likes

When will a Democrat step up and clear the confusion here. A Tariff is a tax, a sales tax at that paid by the buyer importing the goods. So what he really said was “Trump is a Tax Man. He wants American consumers to pay for the privilege of buying stuff. Right now we are taking in $billions in Sales Taxes”.

Someone put that label on him. The tax man. Fully endorsing a huge sales tax. Using a sales tax (that’s regressive) to off set the corporate taxes that were just lowered. Moving the tax base around.

39 Likes

spock

13 Likes

Dear Trump,

Shut-up-02

Cordially,
Everyone

21 Likes

16 Likes

Oh so that was why I lost $53,485. Thanks Nostradumbass.

13 Likes

Are you sure you want to share your account balance with everyone?

16 Likes

Any bets The Donald sold short before that tweet?

8 Likes

Ah, yes, I remember when I had a moderately healthy retirement account before the Party of Fiscal Responsibility that Wall Street Loves came into power.

19 Likes

my password is also password. :wink:

16 Likes

Math checks out. He is very taxing.

21 Likes

“When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so.”

I’ve long suspected that some of the businessmen meeting Trump in private at Mar-a-Lago were paying him for the privilege of raiding the great wealth of the nation. I wonder if we’ll ever find out who and how much?

23 Likes

What’s amazing is that the market went up because Trump said, while being contradicted by his own economics team, that the US and China had come to some agreement. I don’t know what kind of idiot uses the president’s unverified statements as a basis for making economic decisions. I do wonder if the Trumps aren’t using his statements to make a killing on the stock market - it would be, as Donnie says, so easy.

I saw “Tariff man” and suddenly, running through my head was:

:notes:Tariff man, tariff man
Hit on the head with a frying pan
Lives his life in a garbage can
Tariff man

Is he depressed or is he a mess?
Does he feel totally worthless?
Who came up with tariff man?
Degraded man, tariff man :notes:

Well, it only works because his supporters are that dumb. But it’s only accidental brilliance because I’m pretty sure Trumpie has no idea how tariffs work either (nor does he care).

15 Likes