How the left-wing party establishment tries to discredit candidates like Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders

Though at the same time it’s quite possible to argue that - despite his occasional positive actions - he was among the most illiberal, authoritarian presidents of the US of A.

3 Likes

Frank exchange of views duly done.

2 Likes

I’m sure we can all agree he was at least the most awesomely entertaining president.

Definitely my favourite.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think trying to view Nixon through the lens of principles or ideology is misguided. The man wanted his time in the Oval Office, and was fine with doing and saying whatever it took to get there and stay there. Once he got there he was generally a run-of-the-mill pre-Reagan Republican policy-wise, though I don’t think he cared about policy nearly as much as helping friends and harming enemies.

1 Like

From what hear Corbyn wants to re-open coal mines in the UK. Thats approaching “Trump” crazy in my view.

1 Like

Tweedledee & Tweedledum. Or maybe the other way around

You are, of course, correct. Any pres will probably (still) do that. But a more liberal age allowed for a more liberal president, is all.

1 Like

You are completely off your rocker if you think Sanders and Trump are identical in any way. Really, men in white outfits should be chasing you around with giant butterfly nets.

5 Likes

How do you know they aren’t already?

1 Like

(Please remember that the Manics politics are very left wing, definitely further to the left than Bernie Sanders, probably further than Jeremy Corbyn too)

Corbyn, Livingstone and actual-stalinist Seumas Milne are doing a good enough job discrediting themselves, they hardly need much help from anyone else.

It’s an attempt to regain lost votes. Quite a few of the former members of the NUM feel like they have been abandoned by “New Labour” and are showing signs of leaning towards voting Ukip (If they hadn’t already at the last election).

I personally think that reopening the mines is a bad idea, but I can see where the logic is.

Politics would be much, much better if Mark Steele was Speaker of the House.

Have you read Lloyd Grossman’s ‘Crooked’ yet?

Yeah, read it a while back. I thought it was pretty good.

You mean Austin, yeah?

Errrr, yes. Yes I do.

While the movement of segments working class votes from Labour to UKIP is occurring, I doubt that’s Corbyn’s basis for it. He’s apparently held the opinion that the 1984 miner’s strike remains the defining event of modern Labour and that mines should be reopened since the days when UKIP was still a fringe party. (I’m basing this on comments from a local journalist who lived in Corbyn’s constituency over a decade ago.)

That said, somebody may have gotten across to him that it’s a bad idea, as he’s since said that his most recent comments on the matter were misinterpreted.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.