How The Mandalorian was shot on a virtual stage using the Unreal Engine

“Do the magic hand thing!”

yoda hand

8 Likes

Any opportunity for tiresome Star Wars complaining, apparently. I think the tech is cool; if I was a filmmaker, I would be excited at its potential to create new material for nerds to angrily tweet about.

3 Likes

sailor-moon-cute

5 Likes

I’d watch a remake of Crank with Summer Glau instead of Jason Statham. Don’t worry about updating the plot, no one on the original film cared about putting one in at the time.

9 Likes

Even without reflections, just getting the lighting on faces and such to match green screen composites is, well was, a real craft. Having lit a few green screen scenes, it quickly became apparent that having high CRI pixel addressable led panels would enable dynamic scenes that simply were not possible using static lights. It sorta boggles my mind that we got so far without this technology.

I have noticed that many of the big budget cgi superhero films take place in bleak grey-sky virtual environments. Makes lighting easier.

1 Like

I literally laughed aloud at that.

I don’t care that it might be considered passe; I’m not even a SW fan, and I still liked the Mandalorian.

6 Likes

What’s the point of having a magic baby if you can’t use it? (And take it to bars?)

1 Like

Christ almighty this makes me think so much of 2001. Kubrick was doing this shit in analog back in 1968.

I’m not saying that it looked as good (it didn’t, but almost). But the basic idea was there, using front screen projection as an immersive environment vs. UE-generated LED screen images.

I’m not really trying to make a point here, and I’m certainly not trying to dunk on Favreau et al. : The Madalorian is gorgeous. I just wanted to point out my favorite example of a crazy production that had actors on a “virtual” stage.

Jesus, I think they had to invent new lenses for that shit.

2 Likes

He/She/It is about 50, old enough to get in to a bar.

I am also 1000% certain that Mando never changed Baby Yoda’s diapers once during the all the events of the show.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.