How the UK's drug prohibitions on spice created even more dangerous versions

Indeed. But some people find the very thought of diversity frightening. Because that would imply there is no single right way, and their illusion of certainty would fall apart. Better to spread misery and pain amongst those who are different, than face ambiguity, uncertainty, and - god forbid - empathy.

Ugh…this may be new news for the UK but this has been happening in the US for at least the last 5 years. This is a common trend for most synthetic street drugs but in particular for K2. Also, this trend is alive and well in the US.

1 Like

If they were consistent they would have banned alcohol and tobacco, or legalised everything with Pigovian taxes to cover the costs to society.

Tories don’t like taxes and like alcohol and tobacco so…

I don’t know what Labour’s excuse is though.

3 Likes

And absinthe, which was never illegal in the UK. Mulled wine is technically illegal too if it has nutmeg in it.

ETA:

2 Likes

Nutmeg is (probably) exempt as it’s “ordinarily consumed as food”.

This sounds like a challenge. Can you make psychoactive nutmeg alcohol?

Should be possible, as myristicin is soluble in alcohol. Palatable is another question.

50/50 “We can’t try to solve deep-seated social problems if that will make the Sun and the Mail say bad things about us” and “We’re actually on-board with the whole puritan authoritarianism thing”

2 Likes

Palatable is irrelevent. It will serve it’s purpose as long as you can keep it down, get high and not die or get seriously ill.

Every now and again a reasonable voice (generally academic) pops up in the news advocating for legalisation/ending prohibition. Hell, even cops were amongst those calling for change for a while. I wonder what happened to these guys…

1 Like

I remember David Nutt talking sense and getting dismissed from his job as an advisor to the government.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.