How this teen's life changed after deleting all social media

It seemed to me that it’d be easier not to start, than to quit. So I never joined MySpace.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. But Snapchat will tell the person who sent the photo when a screenshot’s been taken. And I think it’s more about the illusion of ‘safety’ – that photo you just took is ephemeral and disappears soon, so don’t worry about it being ugly or stupid or embarrassing.

6 Likes

I have also had to remind people that texts do not have any kind of definite delivery window. If you really want to know that I’ve had the message, voice is still the only real option.

1 Like

Messenger has read receipts.
So we can SEE you reading the texts and then NOT replying! Its infuriating!

5 Likes

I see the high school kids using one cellphone’s camera to save another phone’s screen image fairly often; I’ve been assuming that snapchat was involved, but I’ve never actually asked them.

5 Likes

I would click like 1000 times for this. But I will not donate to your GoFundMe.

4 Likes

The purpose of photography has changed, for most people - it’s not about remembering anymore, but about sharing the present moment. As such, most photographs are not expected to be looked at more than once, and saving every photo received is just a waste of space on your phone.

7 Likes

Yup, that’d be my guess too. My nephew uses Snapchat constantly because he likes sending photos, but doesn’t want anyone posting his “dumb selfies” on Instagram, so he likes that they theoretically disappear. But as you and @learnedcoward point out, there’s many ways of making ephemeral photos permanent. He just likes showing his friends a quick image of where he is, or his lunch, or whatever.

2 Likes

I know that. But does it operate in determinate time? When the network is heavily loaded, are there delays?
The problem I’m referring to is when someone sends you a message expecting a fast reply, but the message itself is delayed. Where is the delay?
With voice, you have some indication. With most forms of electronic messaging, you’re dependent on TCP/IP which is not a reliable two way communication.

Ummmm… your major point is correct, of course. Interactive voice conversation is interruptive and immediate, which has its upsides and downsides. Text messaging systems obviate the interruption of work which necessarily eliminates the assurance of immediacy.

But the Transmission Control Protocol exists to provide a reliable two way communication layer atop Internet Protocol (which does not so provide) and some number of address resolution protocols (which are necessary for endpoint determination). So TCP/IP is not pedantically correct usage here.

The problem is (writing vs talking) rather than (electronic messaging vs telephone), basically.

2 Likes

Messenger is pretty instant, the only times it doesn’t send messages it gives you a “not sent” message.
But I do get your point, but I love me some messenger.
GIFS!

1 Like

My niece once showed me a Snapchat video one of her classmates had a friend take with her phone as the classmate snorted cocaine. Another kid apparently videoed the video and then shared it with everyone in the school within 24 hours.*

The cokehead classmate was also a bully and was the subject of endless stories of idiotic bad judgment, so I can easily see how she fell for the illusion of safety provided by an app targetted to teenagers.

[* the parents got a copy, too, but the mother was one of those lawyers who constantly use their position to get their kids out of trouble and deny they have a problem child]

7 Likes

4 Likes

I can’t.

Within one hour of my son being born, there were more photos taken of him than I have of my entire childhood.

I have no pictures of any of the fun I had with friends from grade school, high school, or college. I was in a garage band with friends for years but have no recordings. I thought of his generation as being so lucky to have an easily accessible photographic record of their daily lives (not just the “formal occasion” pics, but the everyday goofiness of being a kid). Photos and videos that really show personality. So when he and his friends all snapchat and save nothing, I am baffled and a little sad.

9 Likes

Same. Auditory processing disorder, one of my learning disabilities.

On top of that, I think I’ve probably got Asperger’s, which makes it hard for me to pick up on social cues. (I’m not formally diagnosed, but I’ve done lot of reading on the subject, and the supposition that I have it has given me a lot of insight into myself and my life.)

99% of the time, I hate communicating via phone call. Skype is only good for when I’m away from a very close loved one and I miss seeing them.

I vastly prefer communication via emails or texts. (Or even snail mail, for communicating with the technologically-challenged.)

4 Likes

Maybe, much as recordings or photos were scarce to you, ephemerality is scarce to the young ones. I guess you might not cherish things leaving no trace anywhere until such a thing stops existing.

1 Like

Does Facebook own the word messenger now?

1 Like

Pretty much. LOL
You know its its own app right? You don’t actually need to be on FB to use it or have a FB account, and you can make “phone” calls with it.

4 Likes

You kids with your “smartphones” and your “apps.”

5 Likes

And you found the movie times in the newspaper!

1 Like