How this teen's life changed after deleting all social media

I assumed Messenger meant AOL.

Holy crap I’m old.

5 Likes

Newspaper… that’s like Fox News,* but fact checked first, and then printed on dead trees for whatever reason.

*maybe not. “No self respecting fish would want to be wrapped in a Murdoch paper” - Mike Royko

2 Likes

And I thought it meant the Messenger app on iOS. Guh.

I finally got on Telegram after multiple friends told me it was the new way to keep in touch, and now I’m being told Discord is much better and everyone’s leaving Telegram for it. I can’t keep up with the apps and the chats.

6 Likes

I suspect there’s a billions-year-old conversation going on with lasers or other light-speed network among the stars sharing boundless wisdom, history and information between pen-pal civilizations that can never meet, but Earth is basically on the intergalactic equivalent of Snapchat and we’ll be quickly forgotten as a fleeting blip in the night.

Less humorously, I think Snapchat and other burn-after-reading message services are a nostalgic attempt to get back some of the extemporaneousness of analog telephone conversations. Given the cheapness of cloud storage and internet companies’ obsessiveness habits about hording data, I find it quaint that the people using these services believe it’s really vanishing for anyone other than them.

3 Likes

Does Telegram only work in Morse code?

If not, there’s my new big tech idea for 2017

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve tried “CQ CQ CQ!” but Morse code jokes don’t connect with 20-somethings in 2017, sadly.

1 Like

They’re made out of meat?

4 Likes

7 Likes

There used to be a wonderful mechinima adaption on YouTube back ten years ago, but I haven’t been able to find it since then. It’s not any of the three that do come up when you search, it was much better.

1 Like

I miss that guy

3 Likes

That’s nonsense. It’s not at all difficult to post in comboxes while having a VPN and anti-tracking software in effect. Not so much when consuming a smartphone app.

And if I was concerned about whether my opinions were popular on BB, you know darn well I’d have to change them.

And I’ve never fired up my computer in the middle of a lunch with coworkers, or dinner with family, or while at a hockey game, to log into BB and see if my last post got any likes.

Yes, Internet usage is occasionally addiictive. But when I am away from my desk, I’m living 100% in meatspace.

1 Like

Like AIM? Can I get a Windows Mobile phone and put AIM on it?

2 Likes

http://google.com/search?tbm=vid&q=terry+bisson+made+out+of+meat

3 Likes

Thanks for trying, but although it was with robots, they were walking through a spaceship and on a ship’s bridge while having the conversation. If it’s still on YouTube, it’s not on the first five or six pages of search results.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.