How to argue with your racist Facebook uncle this Thanksgiving

I get why the Democrats put this out, but it’s counter-productive for its stated purpose. Really engaging on facts is pointless. If your uncle is driving you crazy with political talking points say something like:

I know your political views are very important to you. Getting together with the whole family is important to me. I want to have happy memories of these times. I know that’s hard when each of us feels like the other is living in an alternate reality. But please, let’s try to connect instead of fight. I don’t want to be answering ‘why is uncle X so angry all the time?’ in the car on the way home.

Or, alternatively:

Listen, your toxic, hateful beliefs are just rotten. I’d prefer to never see you or hear from you again, but there are other people here I want to see. I imagine that knowing you make me feel this way will just make you want to bother me more because you live to be cruel, but I’m not going to hide how I feel from you because that’s just giving in to your bullying. And when you die I’m coming to your funeral to say all this same stuff, because I refuse to let anyone remember you positively when you are such an irredeemable piece of shit.

58 Likes