How to defeat Keurig 2.0's DRM with scotch tape

what is even more sad: Those people are the majority.

We have the Flavia system at work. Just as wasteful, just as tasteless.

1 Like

We have hours old burned Folgers. But hey, at least itā€™s cheap.

I should get some instant ā€œcoffeeā€ sent over from Blighty.

1 Like

Surely thereā€™s room in this topic to include appropriate use-cases? Letā€™s say you run a massage studio, and youā€™d like to offer your clients a warm beverage while they get their wits back after an hour of deep-tissue work. K-Cups allow you to offer a choice of many different coffees and teas, on a per-cup basis, all from one self-serve machine, with minimal machine cleanup between uses, in a very small footprint.

2 Likes

Scotch Tape must be removed from the market forthwith. It is clearly a tool used by DRM violators. At the very least it must be licensed, or available only to members of a relevant Professional Association.

3 Likes

They might have, if you hadnā€™t taped over your webcam lens.

Of course itā€™s not hard to make, but when I get a shitty cup of coffee, I wanna know which bastard made it. This new accountability can only improve what weā€™re served.

1 Like

Iā€™d be more comfortable with the DRM if they were required to post a warning on the packaging that ā€œthis product is designed to work only with coffee grounds that we supplyā€. Otherwise, I donā€™t think you can call it a coffee maker.

I did:

1 Like

I bought an aeropress like five years ago, and it would still be going strong if someone else hadnā€™t thrown out the filter cap by mistake. Itā€™s easy, fast, makes great coffee and is easy to clean up. I do use the Keurig on most work days, because itā€™s still faster and I donā€™t have time for all that. I could get up earlier, but I donā€™t.

Nailed it:

1 Like

I talked about this a bit earlier. There are more advanced and in some cases more general hacks available.

And it is immensely wasteful; coffee isnā€™t hard to make cleanly.

This is basically why I have one. Everyone in my house likes to drink something different. If I made a pot, it mostly got wasted as only one person drinks regular coffee. Now I can have regular, decaf, flavored cappucino/latte thingies, and loose-leaf tea without pouring out entire pots. We use reusable pods for half of those, and we have an older Keurig without the DRM.

That one looks nicer than the ones Iā€™m using, do you have a link?

The pods seem have solved the general issue of serving coffee as a host or hostess, whether thatā€™s for a business or for a person hosting a group. You can offer a selection and brew on an as needed basis. I donā€™t like the pod coffee but when Iā€™m getting my hair did, Iā€™d rather have that than slurry thatā€™s been sitting in a pot all day. And for businesses, itā€™s a lot less mess and hassle.

1 Like

Be aware that only certain baskets will physically fit in the Keurig 2.0, even if you do use scotch tape

Are they too big, or too small?

If too small, adapter can be made from a suitable material (3d-printed ABS, sugru, wood, epoxy-soaked tissue paper (surprisingly decent material!, though fabric is better)ā€¦)

Solofill gold plated from amazon. $15-ish.

2 Likes

You can compost both. The coffee grounds are especially wonderful for encouraging earthworms, which in turn are especially wonderful for encouraging gardens of all kinds.

1 Like