How to do like this $2,500,000 wristwatch? "This look like a Burger King watch"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/20/how-to-do-like-this-2500000.html

5 Likes

I would rather have the Burger King watch.

23 Likes

I’ll steal some of your fries because I don’t really want the watch but I’m snacky.

14 Likes

It’s also blue, transparent, and has exposed Swiss movement. It’s also 25000% cheaper.

28 Likes

I always get the onion rings though. But for you I will order fries as well.

14 Likes

@Tamsin_Bailey @TobinL
I’ll get the milkshakes.

10 Likes

The tin cans are awesome. I hope the $2,500,000 watch comes in a nice package too.

1 Like

That Skeletor Burger King watch is pretty sweet, but I’m holding out for the He Man one.

12 Likes

Oh boy…

2 Likes

I love the defense of this on Twitter, which was ‘sure, it may look like a cheap plastic watch to the untrained eye, but actually all these resources and effort went into making it.’ That’s just an admission that the time and resources were totally wasted.

14 Likes

I will die not understanding the hyperrich’s obsession with tacky, horrifyingly overpriced wristwatches which accomplish things that (a) hardly anyone needs done and (b) are done infinitely better by a smartwatch, anyway.

It’s not even a “why not spend it on charity” argument. That ship has sailed and will deliver its load of guillotines at some unspecified future date. It’s just… Surely you can imagine a better luxury and sign of your wealth than that. Race cars and things are at least impressive. Art at least lets you pretend you have some measure of sophistication and appreciates in value. Jewels are at least pretty.

7 Likes

Don’t look at other tweets from this account unless you want to be filled with rage.

5 Likes

The most expensive watch you’ll never get mugged for wearing.

9 Likes

QFT:

12 Likes

Whoever paid $2.5 mil for that watch is the sort of sucker PT Barnum allegedly loved.

10 Likes

Well, as a guy who likes Swiss (and other) watches, I will say that many of them are gorgeous and marvels of mechanical engineering. They are essentially jewelry, but functional, and engineered, so for me, the attraction is much greater than many other forms of jewelry.

But this watch? Blech. Super tacky. I’m sure some real-life James Bond villain will adore it, some sheik, or oligarch, or whatever. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

This just screams novae riche to me; someone who still thinks of Sapphire as a valuable substance. Most watches have sapphire crystals; this sapphire was just grown with the correct impurities to make it blue instead of clear.

To my eyes it looks thick and inelegant; it looks unrefined. The curves are all wrong; the case is too thick because of trying to make the crystal material thick enough for use, the skull is gauche, the band looks uncomfortable and is blue transparent rubber, the screws used to hold it together are simultaneously unrefined and overwrought and intrusive. It’s just a mess.

And I am sure that they will have enough customers with more money than taste to buy as many as they deem to produce. I suppose I should just be glad that it is paying for people with these skills to work for 3,000 hours a pop.

7 Likes

But it has a tourbillon! Sure those are completely useless on wristwatches but they are really hard to make and thus expensive.

1 Like

Yes, the guy who would wear this is absolutely be the non-ostentatious sort who wouldn’t let anyone know he had on an expensive watch.

One might think, but here is a different but similar $2.5 million blue plastic sapphire watch by the same maker worn rather ostentatiously.