Tiffany sold out of a ton of those laughable sterling silver "everyday objects"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/yiannopoulos-for-luxury-goods.html

Yet Boing Boing repeatedly took the bait by posting numerous stories about these.

I guess the joke’s on us?

14 Likes

The product line, while a small part of Tiffany’s business, shows it’s “willing to take a fresh look at the brand, and that they have the courage to do that,”

“Courage”. Make that ‘cynical unmitigated gall’ and then I’d agree.

4 Likes

use your opponents as amplifiers by saying things that so enrage them that they repeat them, eventually bringing them to the attention of the thinly spread minority who will welcome them.

Did Tiffany send you a sterling silver thank-you card for doing your part?

(not a serious criticism – leaving these stories about the excess and depredations of the greedpigs unreported is just as bad. This is the world we live in.)

5 Likes

Tiffany sells plenty of ordinary jewelry, too. And they still manufacture it in the US. If the stories are even half-true that I hear from someone who works in their engineering department, then you’re giving Tiffany WAY too much credit for deviousness.

2 Likes

A 15 cm ruler is only barely useful for measuring things.

Meh, more than adequate for the average man’s needs. Way more than some presidents need.

As for this whole hate on every day items, I suppose one holds the same opinion at how ridiculous the price is for a Warhol print of a soup can.

Common objects can be decorative and can be considered art. That is what the whole pop art movement showed us. Part of the cost on these items is the metals and finish for these items. But even a bronze ball of yarn is going to be more expensive than regular yarn. It still can make an interesting subject. Tiffany has had a long history of combining practical objects with artistic forms.

Sure it is sorta art for the elite - but don’t worry, you can be an elitist by looking down on it.

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s big enough to measure the phalli of the people who need to buy that stuff.

I somehow doubt that 1 percenters’ buying habits are influenced by the rest of us.

1 Like

When only silver will do when gauging one’s sliver.

1 Like

Interesting point. I think it’s high time Cory started wearing only Gucci t-shirts ironically.

The rich are buying the quaint things us common folk use for shits and giggles. But you know, jazzed up with expensive materials.

1 Like
  1. They’re sculptures of everyday items, not some sort of weird jab at poor people for not being able to afford silver underwear. (Probably overpriced) art pieces, even if they are mass produced. Chill out.

2. Cheaper items sold more than more expensive ones. I don’t see what’s so surprising or devious here.

3 Likes

’laughable’

1 Like

Hey, they should try their hand at making vodka bottles!

But…is it really sold out? We only have the company’s word on that.

What has for sure happened is that people are talking about Tiffany’s again.

1 Like

Certainly not, but we were made accomplice into the collective outrage that further increased mindshare. Mission accomplished.

I don’t know, i didn’t share the story nor did i discuss it with anyone outside of the BBS. And while i’ve never bought anything at Tiffany’s or even set foot in one i’m now less likely to do so. If that’s what their mission was then i’m happy to play my part.

1 Like

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, “Oh, you know what Bill’s doing, he’s going for that anti-marketing dollar. That’s a good market, he’s very smart.”

Oh man, I am not doing that. You fucking evil scumbags!

“Ooh, you know what Bill’s doing now, he’s going for the righteous indignation dollar. That’s a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We’ve done research - huge market. He’s doing a good thing.”

Goddammit, I’m not doing that, you scum-bags!
Quit putting a goddamn dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet!

“Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill’s very bright to do that.”

God, I’m just caught in a fucking web.

“Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar…”

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like fucking babies at night, don’t you?

-Bill Hicks

3 Likes

Mark Rosewater, the head designer of Magic the Gathering, often says that if you dislike a particular card then that card wasn’t made for you. There is someone else who will find it appealing.

Rich people are allowed to spend inconsequential (to them) sums of money on things they find whimsical, just the way nerds might buy similar whimsies from ThinkGeek. There is no more reason to mock someone who buys a silver tin can than there is to mock someone for buying a light-up Blade Runner umbrella. People can like what they like without needing other people’s approval.

1 Like