How to finish a conversation at a party

“What has to go with it is being a nice and decent person,”

Welp, looks like I gotta keep looking…

3 Likes

Love the Commander McBragg image.

3 Likes

“I could listen to you all night; and for a moment, I thought I was going to have to.”

–David Letterman

6 Likes

If you have to wait for a lull, this technique´s not for you.

“I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.”
The go grab some snacks.

3 Likes

I just start talking about how Donald Trump is exactly the President that America needs.

If they actually show interest, then I go for the ol’ “Hey! Look a deer” (while pointing behind them) – works perfectly on 5 year olds and Trump supporters.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Well, you are probably someone who has no social anxiety, and it is easy for you to do this. Others need help and tips. I don’t think it has much to do with warmth and sincerity.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m sorry but that was so not helpful; and I had high hopes. :’-( People with social anxiety are so freaking worried and over-analyzing about whether they’ll come across wrongly no matter what, yet this ‘trick’ includes a note pointing out that the technique needs to be deployed with appropriate warmth and congeniality.… I see, you mean like every single interaction that’s so complex and stressful?

(also, if someone would just say “It’s been so nice talking with you.” and whirl away, I would be absolutely convinced I’ve just bored them to tears, no matter how bright their smile. But, yeah; social anxiety.)

6 Likes

What to Talk About: On a Plane, at a Cocktail Party, in a Tiny Elevator with Your Boss’s Boss

What to talk about on the elevator is easy. Same as at the urinals. NOT A DAMN THING!

Elevator time is quiet time. No exceptions.

None.

And eyes forward!

5 Likes

Who, me? I just don’t get invited to parties, is all! Too much sincerity, not enough warmth.

1 Like

Can we fart?

5 Likes

Quietly. Eyes forward.

5 Likes

Inevitably, I always do.

That’s wrong on so many levels.

5 Likes

David Cameron style

1 Like

I am staring at your fingers, making clucking sounds with a mild German accent

1 Like

A method that works fairly reliably for me. Trying to talk about something that actually interests me. The intention is usually not ending the conversation but the result is such anyway.
[sigh]

9 Likes

“That’s really fascinating, but this candy isn’t going to crush itself.”

6 Likes