How to finish a conversation at a party

The manager of one of the stores I support (she’s in Guam, I’m in Seattle) has a crush on me, or something. Maybe she’s just very friendly. Anyway, she’ll rope me into long-winded phone conversations after I fix whatever problem they’re having. Now I just say “I have a call coming in… Damn, it’s from the Hawaii restaurant, must be an emergency”–Click.

1 Like

Absolutely. But It’s gotta be hilarious. Like an endless squeaker, or one that sounds like a duck.

3 Likes

Well, obviously. It is in an elevator, after all.

7 Likes

I thought it was to get another person involved in the conversation and then make your escape, leaving the sucker behind for the wolves.

2 Likes

No, that’s just the technique for air dogfights. If you’ve got a bogey on your six and you can’t shake them, your best option is to fly directly toward an ally who can go heads up with the bogey.

1 Like

You’re right - but the point was that it was supposed to be a “simple suggestion for extricating yourself” - my point being that for many people (see @Seki’s post), even finding the correct time to use this “simple” technique is fraught with difficulty.

1 Like

Anne Emond is my life coach.

The only way to truly win is not to play the game at all (where you will usually find me at a party)

(i.e. with the critters or the rugrats)

gemma also does some consulting work on my mad social skillz:

8 Likes

My problem is how to start a conversation at a party. So-called “small talk” confuses the hell out of me. I do much better with people who are busy and somewhat opinionated. Such as some academics, professionals, and bohemians. I can discuss ideas tirelessly, but avoid emotional/status games. Once we get talking, circumstances usually finish the conversation as the event ends, schedules re-assert themselves, transportation requirements, etc.

It’s been a long time since an “interested” person has insisted upon following me around. IIRC I have tried faking seizures, talking to inanimate objects, alternating sudden manic gestures with slack passivity, gargling the wine, and others which presently elude me.

2 Likes

I am far and away a terrible small talker if it doesn’t involve something in my wheelhouse. So I have learned to just embrace Weird and see where the chips fall.

Goes up to stranger, “its SO GOOD to see you! Hasn’t it been ages?”

upon seeing a good friend at a party, “oh Jesus Tapdancing CHRIST

Being introduced to someone’s mother, “ya wanna get outa here?”

and the one that always seems to break the ice, “One word: Plastics”

4 Likes

It’s been so nice talking with you!

3 Likes

Thank G-d it’s not animated!

2 Likes

Savvy experienced phone hotline volunteers taught me this line when I was seeking a way to get out of some calls with repeat callers who tended to hog up the line:

“Well, I’ll let you go now…”

Surprisingly effective and low key.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, and this is what we use at work on conference calls:

“Well, someone else wants the room now. Gotta let you go…”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.