How to fix common mistakes in Git

Out of curiosity, where did you find the professional demographics of BB readers? I’d like to look at it …

Quantcast

1 Like

A programmer dies and he wakes up on a cloud. An attendant tells him that here instead of programming actuarial calculations he can program video games with no deadlines using a programming language that is as clean and expressive as Python but as safe as Java. All of his changes will be saved from harm in Git.

“Um… I’m really sorry”, the programmer says, “I really appreciate how wonderful it is here in Heaven, but I can’t stand Git. I think I’d fit better in the other place”.

The attendant replies, “What makes you think you are in Heaven?! HAHAHAHAHA! Oh look you have an error to fix! MWAH HAHA”

The programmer stared without comprehension at the error:
“Git: unable to join threaded lstat.”

1 Like

No.

3 Likes

I’ve used git for about 8 years now, and I find the command line interface to be rather painful. I like hiding that stuff behind a UI like SourceTree. But I’m one of those dumb weirdos that eschews rapidly typing stuff onto the command line, and using emacs or vi to hand edit cmake files etc, preferring instead a nice IDE. I’m a software developer and not the star in some movie about hacking into an alien computer.

First clue you’re in hell.

2 Likes

Last week I created a branch in git, did some work on it, and then merged it back into master and nothing broke!
I felt like the most leet hacker in the world right then I can tell you.

3 Likes

Learn how to master git rebase and you’ll feel like a god…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.