How to make a second 'Top Gun' film

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/01/how-to-make-a-second-top-gun.html

3 Likes

There’s lot of career peaks right there…

11 Likes

It was better than the source material though.
My friends all looked at me like I was an alien when I said Top Gun was a pile of trite predictable suck.
Granted if I had seen on a giant screen the jet scenes would be cool but that still wouldn’t fix the awful story.

12 Likes

I get the same reaction when I talk about The Matrix.

I think many of these terrible movies seem good if you mainly only watch movies of this genre, and rarely read novels or watch films of other genres. I’m not trying to look down on people. But I do want to draw a distinction between what has artistic merit and what is entertainment. Many mainstream films are entertainment, and that’s been the nature of the medium even reaching back into the silent film era.

Unfortunately once you experience a wider range of stories and art you start looking for novel experiences. You won’t find a novel experience in these sorts of films, and will be disappointed by them if that is all you can enjoy.

6 Likes

I would have liked that a lot more if I had not already seen a bunch of bullet opera Hong Kong cinema already. The story was a good take on the story concept just a bit meh in the execution.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan (although I don’t hate it) because people who had no idea what cyberpunk was thought that was a good representation of it, even though it really just was a mystic messiah movie with guns and computers. We really haven’t had a good cyberpunk movie. I know people say Blade Runner, and while I love that movie, and while it does have some of the trappings of cyberpunk with its near-future (yes, technically now a year past) corporate dystopia, it doesn’t have cyberspace, so…

2 Likes

It’s known as Top Gang in Brazil. Which is why I was actually hoping this was an annoucement of a sequel to Hot Shots.

2 Likes

I still suspect that if Top Gun hadn’t been released when it was and made fighter jets so popular at that precise moment in the cultural zeitgeist then our country wouldn’t have dropped a trillion bucks on a mostly-useless Joint Strike Fighter program.

8 Likes

Hot Shots! theme > Top Gun theme

THAT’S A FACT

3 Likes

I don’t understand how we haven’t seen a Snow Crash movie yet. I’m not saying it woud be good - there’s so many ways to screw it up. But the source material has so many unique characters and so much tongue-in-cheek humor, I’m surprised no one has tried.

2 Likes

Amazon apparently are making a series:

6 Likes

Getting the cast right is going to be pretty key if they want to make that adaptation work. Hiro’s ancestry was a pretty central part of his character, so if they cast someone who can’t convincingly pass for half African American / half Japanese then it’s going to be a repeat of the controversy over casting Scarlett Johansson as the Major from Ghost in the Shell. Not to mention how disappointed fans will be if they can’t find a sufficiently imposing Aleutian-looking guy to play Raven.

2 Likes

Well see that’s because you’re wrong. :wink:

2 Likes

Curious, but still not going to google “top gang brazil” with filters turned off… :laughing:

7 Likes

I can think of a decent number of cyberpunk or at least cyberpunk-influenced films that I like. Strange Days is definitely in there!

I used to think that way too, but the thing that killed the Matrix series for me was everything after the car chase in Matrix 2. I couldn’t even get through the first 15 minutes of Matrix 3.

1 Like

I really like all three, as well as The Animatrix.

I’m convinced the series just gets way too heady and esoteric for most folks, and the intense mystic/Gnostic/Vedantic themes make most viewers extremely uncomfortable, and they end up disliking the films due to general unease.

1 Like

Well it was that the storyline didn’t seem as tight and I thought it was falling apart near the end of the second one and the third seemed to be more of the same right from the start. Maybe this is an “OK boomer” moment! Ain’t gonna hate on their attempts or the fans who “get” it tho.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.