How to make those disgusting disneyland smoked turkey legs

You just need to wash it down with enough TAB to get cancer from the saccharine – dilution is the solution.

2 Likes

“Prague powder” is just pink curing salt. It’s what’s used for all smoked meats. There’s nothing special about Disney’s turkey legs or their color… smoked ham-style turkey legs have been a staple at outdoor festivals, flea markets, renaissance fairs, and fun parks for many years.

Well the “uncured” thing with celery is a bit more problematic than that. A lot of them use celery juice or powder directly (which is a nice trick at home if you can’t get curing agents). The issue with that is they lose all control of nitrate/nitrite levels. I’ve seen a bunch of articles on testing of actual off the shelf “uncured” products. A lot of them have far, far more actual nitrates/nitrites in them than competing products that are cured the regular way. Still in the safe/palatable range though. I think Cooks Illustrated was one of the places that ran these tests. So if you’re trying to limit nitrate/nitrite intake then “uncured” products are the last place you should be looking.

2 Likes

I recommend eating cherries for the gout!

2 Likes

There’s also the confounding of other compounds that may make it into the products, which I haven’t seen included in any of these studies. It’s maddening. You’d think we could figure this out, as well as the GMO linked-to-herbicide intake question. CURSE YOU MONSANTO!!!

It’s a meal that’s also a bludgeoning device!

3 Likes

Escape from Tomorrow reference?

That movie was how I learned that Disneyworld had turkey legs…

Apparently, Salt and Sodium nitrate are unnatural now, meat being meat coloured is gross.

If there’s a looking glass, we’re through it now. I’m half expecting the next thing I read about food on BoingBoing is going to be an article enumerating the dangers of GMO Salt, and how all our only seasoning should be artisinal free-range organic salt or there will be dire full life consequences.

2 Likes

Specifically, yes, though generically that has been a well circulated internet rumor for much longer.

GAH… TAB!!! Yuck.

1 Like

Huh? Can meat producers not read packaging? I don’t see sugar being dyed to distinguish it from salt, or cayenne from chili powder, or etc etc etc.

It’s dyed red for the same reason any food product is ever dyed red: because consumers have been trained to think that it’s supposed to be red instead of its natural color.

Also we are talking about this wonderful product being used to dye a turkey leg pink instead of its normal brown? This isn’t trying to keep pork pink through a smoking process. It is turning brown into brown/pink.

This is a foodstuff we gather families around to eat for a major US holiday. some folks have a preference for the dark meat, some the light. I do not think making it pink splits the difference and suddenly EVERYONE will enjoy a slimy, dyed pink turkey leg.

Unicorn must have also been delicious.

1 Like

You know, nobody dyes an apple to distinguish it from an orange.

I don’t get it.

At least mummy dusted Medieval dragon legs are a nice brown color instead of pink…

edit, I responded to the wrong post – oh well

I am indifferent to most poultry to begin with and dislike big chunks of meat like this in general (well made wings are an exception, and duck … duck is yummy if prepared right).

However, a friend of mine freaked when I showed her this. She loves those stupid, huge legs.

And to add on to @philip_elliott’s suggestion, Trader Joe’s has the BOMB 100% tart cherry juice and it’s not overly expensive, either (you can also buy the slightly-more expensive organic, both are yummmms).

2 Likes

I wish it actually worked :). Its hereditary, and water + Dr. Visits are the best. cSB: the cherry thing did work a few times, but it was probably placebo. Doesn’t mean I won’t take placebo though :smiley:

2 Likes

Ryu and myself are right, and it has nothing to do with dying the meat. The nitrates will make it rosy on its own, and the red dye is only added so non industrial producers can easily identify it. Think of it as a traditional additive. I have charcuterie textbooks if you’d like a source.

1 Like