How to make those disgusting disneyland smoked turkey legs

If it is slimy, seriously, get a refund :). Slimy poultry is the worst

Depends. Is it crispy?

1 Like

State fair food stalls?

1 Like

Good luck! Iā€™ve been lucky that the cherry has always worked for me.

I sincerely wish you the best. :slight_smile:

What, that castle is a baba yaga hut? Now thatā€™d be fantastic.

What color is Tabā€¦ the color of gross?

Iā€™ll respond to you anyway, so I donā€™t feel lonely and abandoned!

The meat is not dyed by the dye in the powder. I use un-colored, pure, food grade, potassium nitrate to cure at home. It leaves cured meats the exact same rosy pink or purple as ā€œpink saltsā€ like Prague powder and InstaCure. The color change is from the way nitrates/nitrites effect the proteins in the meat. IIRC its that the nitrate/nitrites fix the myoglobin and other pigments in the muscle fibers. This is the same pigment that makes meat a rosy red when it is raw. Cured meats have had that color since we started curing meat with nitrates/nitrites, which is essentially since we started making food.

They dye the powder so you can differentiate it from regular salt. Pink salts are mostly salt. So they have the same grain structure as salt. And would even taste like salt if you tried to test it that way. Imagine you buy a bag of Prague powder, and then move it from that bag to a jar. A jar identical to the one you use to store your salt. And you forget to label them. Or maybe you just donā€™t see the labels and grab the wrong one without checking You canā€™t see, smell, feel, or taste a difference in the two products. How do you tell them apart? The same sort of thing can happen in large level production. What do you do if the labels somehow come off the 55 gallon drums of your salt and Prague powder? Or maybe the new kid is a total idiot and didnā€™t bother the check. Use these things in the wrong proportions and you get spoilage or just plain shitty product. Toss a little food coloring in the cure and you avoid the whole problem. Either way theyā€™re available with out the pink coloring, or you can get nitrates/nitrites pure and work out the salt ratio yourself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more curious on why the title describes them as ā€œdisgustingā€? I wish I could afford them locally.

1 Like

Salt and Nitrites are terrible and gross and awful, but itā€™s totally okay if you donā€™t wash yourself for a few years before cooking.

Now, WHY is that thing called ā€œPrague powderā€? Does anybody know?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.