How to make vegan bacon out of bread

This recipe doesn’t look good, to me.

I had an excellent snack, that was called vegan bacon. It wasn’t. But it was a truly nice way to have carrots. They were cut into thin strips, using a veggie peeler, then marinated in something umami and toasted in an air fryer. Once I got past the word bacon, it was great.

7 Likes

I do something similar for canapé bases as a more interesting alternative to crackers or chips. Rye bread, remove the crust, roll it through a pasta roller until right before it starts to crack. Cut into squares, brush with butter, salt, and bake 'til crisp. They’re kinda those bagel chips in the snack mix that are clearly the best par, and they’re fantastic for mushroom duxelle, steak tartare, babaganoush, caponata, goat cheese & beets, etc.

4 Likes

i love this guy’s recipes, and i’ve been watching and trying them for awhile. i really like this new era of wild west in veganism… that being said, i do agree that most versions of vegan facon are too much trouble for merely ok results. i was never gaga over the real thing anyway, so i enjoy most attempts on their own merits once in awhile.

5 Likes

Honest question: why is bread considered vegan? It has butter and yeast in it, and sometimes egg or milk?

7 Likes

Many breads don’t have butter, eggs, or milk, and no vegan I’ve ever known has been persnickety enough about what “vegan” means to avoid yeast.

11 Likes

Frying a bit of white bread is one way to check the temp of your oil for deep frying. Not one to waste food I usually eat the resulting fried bread. I’m sure I’m not the only person out there that enjoys deep fried carbs. Add some naturally occurring msg if that’s your jam, just leave bacon out of it.

3 Likes

The bread I make is just whole wheat flour, salt, yeast, warm water and maple syrup.

2 Likes

Just watched Earwig and the Witch and we were like “fried bread?” Wtf is that?

How does it compare to vegan bacon, and what are the ethical issues with eating vegans?

3 Likes

Apart from yeast, which is pretty much unavoidable unless you make soda bread, many of the basic breads I make have none of those ingredients. I make an oatmeal bread that calls for honey, but if my vegan relatives are coming I just substitute corn syrup.

Gluten free, now, is a challenge.

9 Likes

Yep, and I was thinking of beer bread too, though that has self-rising flour (which maybe has yeast?).

5 Likes

They’re fungi.

1 Like

They are, but the animal kingdom likely branched off from fungi so they’re probably more closely related to animals than plants.

1 Like

I bet they get really salty.

4 Likes

Yes, but animals they are not.

Self raising flour doesn’t have any yeast - it has cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda added to it, which react together to give off carbon dioxide. It’s definitely a chemical reaction not a biological one. However, the beer bread recipe won’t let you avoid yeast, as the beer will have used some in its production.

5 Likes

it’s seriously a (native american) thing, and it’s delish!

10 Likes

smoke signals GIF by FilmStruck

4 Likes

Though I’ve never been vegan, my girlfriend for five years was, so I’ve had a bit of experience with the food, and I’ve found that vegan food is much, much better when it doesn’t pretend to be non-vegan food and instead embraces its natural strengths. I went to what was supposedly an amazing, top-tier vegan restaurant in Denver and found the lumpy, musty fake cheese and seitan bacon absolutely revolting and near-inedible. Later, we went to a vegan restaurant in Seattle that used a different approach and it was not only the best vegan food I’ve ever had, but some of the best food, period. We had a squash pizza with a light layer of olive oil instead of cheese that was light, crispy and brought out the sweet, buttery/nutty natural taste of the squash wonderfully, then I had a French dip with mushrooms instead of fake meat, and carrot fries. Spiced fried bread doesn’t sound that bad to me, but it seems like there are easier and healthier vegan options that would be just as satisfying and require a lot less effort trying to replicate something they’re not.

14 Likes

This has been my experience as well at vegan restos in NoCal.

2 Likes