Ways to cook bacon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/ways-to-cook-bacon.html

9 Likes

Yeah, the answer is “bake it”. Parchment paper helps, but also not necessary. And save that bacon grease folks!

9 Likes

No machine gun? You could be cool like this guy:

4 Likes

My personal chef (otherwise known as my spouse) does a basket weave with the bacon and then bakes it. He cuts the weaves in half, leaving a dense square of deliciousness, then freezes it. He can cook more bacon in less time, have it in the freezer for 2 weeks (starts to get freezer burn after that) and get a good mix of crispy edges and chewy bacon. When we want bacon, we pull out a square. Plops right on a BLT or crumble for salad. Warms to room temp in no time. Though one can, and I do, eat it right out of the freezer. Cold, delicious, interesting texture, no effort. It’s not hard frozen just a little extra chewy.

11 Likes

http://baconmethod.com

3 Likes

I tried the super slow cook bacon in the oven method last weekend as I had some time - like an hour in the oven - low heat.

A different bacon experience - not crisp as is my usual preference - but not that limp under cooked stuff either. Certainly gave the place a nice smell for quite a while. I popped on some extra smoke flavor too - just for good measure. Would do again - not sure it’ll be in hot rotation.

14 Likes

I know, I know, bacon is supposed to be baked, but I use it to grease the pan before frying the egg, so I still will fry it in the pan. So that I can use a spoon to drizzle the fat over the sunny side up eggs whilst they are in their turn frying.

12 Likes

I learned to start the bacon with a little water in the pan. By the time the water has evapourated away the rest of the cook is just for crisping.

Also, the guys at the Vespa Lunch have a huge griddle that they cook almost everything on and there’s always a pile of half-cooked bacon off in one corner - need some bacon? - grab a handful, slap it in the middle o’ the griddle and finish it off. Best BLTs in Tronna.

7 Likes

@beschizza How’s the keto diet working for you? I’m trying to lose the gut but not having much success. Haven’t tried the keto diet yet.

1 Like

…when you pry my skillet from my cold, stiff fingers!

4 Likes

Used to work for years as a short order cook.
Standard Set-It-And-Forget-It method to cook bacon was:
1: Lay strips on the grill
2: Plop down Iron Press on Top
3: Do something else for a bit
4: Remember the bacon, remove press, looks good. No flipping.
SL1500

11 Likes

I came in here to extoll the virtues of the bacon press. Mine is cast iron, round, w a wooden handle and ridges on the bacon interface side. Took me a couple tries to get the cast iron seasoning on it (remove wooden handle, oil and scorch in hottest oven until it stops smoking).

Place in cast iron pan, turn heat on medium/low to slowly warm the pan and press. Remove press, insert bacon and place press on top, cook time is less than no press variety for obvious reasons. Bacon is uniformly cooked without the weird loops and folds if most other methods. Baking also tends to have fewer uncooked/overcooked bits than the wangdangled version. Enkwife’s cousin cooks it on low in the broiler. This can be quite smoky and you’ll recall you cooked bacon under the broiler next time you fire up the broiler.

7 Likes

I find “heat” is the best way to cook most things.

8 Likes

Never cook bacon in the nude.

22 Likes

I use a le creuset skillet it has those grooves
and tried a denby small dish to tip the skillet to one side
but found out that to hange the beacon is best
not found the perfect method yet but does the job

scouts honour :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I will definitely try the basket-weave baking technique :+1:

1 Like

I bake my bacon in my cast-iron pan, and then pull it out to the stove top for the eggs. Best of both worlds!

7 Likes

Oven cook bacon is banned, in our house, after an incident last winter. My wife decided to cook bacon in the oven and it burst into flames. She unthinkingly opened the oven and it spit out a fireball. She managed to close the oven. The fire department managed to put out the fire reasonably quickly, but the house was coated in awful grease smoke residue for ages.

8 Likes

“Laser beam box”? It’s a radar gun, you silly person!

5 Likes

Makes for the best pan fried chicken ever.

9 Likes