How to make vegan bacon out of bread

Originally published at: How to make vegan bacon out of bread | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Made me gag a little.

11 Likes

I want to try this!

I certainly do not. What a faff, merely for some savoury fried bread.

5 Likes

I hate liars. I just won’t eat bacon, no need to bullshit me.

9 Likes

Sounds a lot like toast with Vegemite.

13 Likes

Doesn’t this defeat the purpose of bacon?

5 Likes

vegan ‘bacon’

18 Likes

Adding umami flavourings, salt and sweetness to pretty much anything and frying it will make it tasty.

15 Likes

i’ve made fake bacon with seitan so you’d be getting more protein than you would from flattened white bread - i also used a mushroom soy so that eliminated any need for separate mushroom flavouring - the key to any of this chicanery is the amount of fat and salt you use, so it’s okay (i guess) for vegans but not much better if you’re looking to reduce your salt and fat intake - regardless . . . it ain’t bacon

9 Likes

I’ve been having BLTs lately with bacon-flavored tempeh. Tastes great to me!

And real bacon? Considering what’s in it, what goes into making it, and that it’s carcinogenic, I haven’t eaten that shit in many, many years.

11 Likes

Being vegan I’ve tried various “facon” recipes, like one basically like this but with rice paper instead of the bread, but honestly they’re all too much trouble. When I make BLT sandwiches I just use the soy bacon bits sprinkles. With a good tomato and good bread it’s fine.

14 Likes

I have no problem eating bacon, because it tastes good, and the minor increase in cancer risk isn’t enough to dissuade me. But my favorite part of a BLT is the tomato, and I’ve had a damn good meatless analog using a smoky aioli and properly toasted bread. Avocado also helps. No fake bacon required.

4 Likes

I have tried a lot of bacon alternatives over the years, they are “ok”, but even turkey or beef bacon can’t compare to the flavor of actual pork bacon. Still, I am interested to try this.

A Muslim friend of mine was accidentally served real bacon in a dish one time and had to admit “now I know what all the fuss is about”, but she still won’t eat it of her own accord.

5 Likes

I tried a bunch of vegan bacons. Only found one that was bacon adjacent and tolerable. Put it into breakfast rotation on an egg sandwich.

The others were ghastly.

Nothing really replaces bacon. But bacon has all the downsides of its utterly delightful self. A treat now. Also - cooking with bacon fat? Can’t be beat for flavor. Again - can’t eat that every day.

7 Likes

in fact, that is the mainstay of this guy’s channel, he must have over a dozen “vegan bacon” videos, they’re all basically this same thing

2 Likes

I don’t like food pretending to be something else, but what I really don’t like is that the original post doesn’t include a link to RJtheMagician’s original video that inspired this guy to try it out…

7 Likes

If I ever go vegan - God forbid - I will say goodbye to bacon and be happy with my decision. This abomination will never, ever pass my lips.

2 Likes

I’d try it. I get cutting off the crust if it’s a crunchy loaf of Tartine, but from this soft loaf? It would have added to the look and taken nothing away from the final product.

1 Like

Yeast are animals…WTF?

2 Likes

I’ve made tempeh “bacon” and I hear you about the seitan version.

Mostly it’s just a question of how badly a person misses eating bacon. After nearly 40 years as a vegetarian, I don’t really miss it that much. Or barbecue either.

Bingo.
And not all the healthy if it’s something one eats every day.

Salted cashes, peanuts, brazilnuts taste just fine if the hunger cravings drive me to salt and fat and crunchy mouthfeel foods.

8 Likes