How to make your own fidget spinner from paper

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/10/how-to-make-your-own-fidget-sp-2.html

The ninja star is one of 3 origami models I know by heart… I think. It’s been awhile…

In the 80s these things were all the rage and you could build them from an 8.5 x 11, vs a square.

No one would teach me how to make one, so I paid a kid $1 and reversed engineered it.

1 Like

It may not be “strictly origami” because it’s made from multiple sheets of paper, but modular origami is a whole other field. There’s stuff made of hundreds of sheets of paper and no glue or scissors. It’s mostly 3D geometric figures.

1 Like

See, it starts off with the finest spinners hand+crafted from pure stainless steel, but soon we’re all settling for paper spinners. Soon they’ll be made of nothing at all, mere virtual spinners with a few twinkling pixels to show where they would be. The same thing happened with money.

3 Likes

Bah, forget spinners. I went out and got me some spin tops! (still need tons more practice before I can hang out with these guys, though… )

My son made his own paper spinner by gluing together 5-10 sheets of paper, cutting them in the shape of a spinner, and sticking a bearing in the middle. It works really well.

Pretty soon, nearly every house in America (with a grade-school-aged kid) will have a few fidget spinners just sitting in a drawer. My nephew has 4. I don’t think he plays with them all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.