How to memorize an entire chapter of Moby Dick

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/how-to-memorize-an-entire-chap.html

2 Likes

3-4 hours for 4 days. I guess that’s a better use of one’s time than binge watching a series on Netflix.

4 Likes

quark-but-why

16 Likes

It’s whale guts, all the way down.

9 Likes

No one needs to know that much about whales.

5 Likes

I have never read Moby-Dick, but when I was in 10th grade band, we performed this song, in which we sung Father Mapple’s hymn. Almost 30 years later, and I can still remember every word and every note.

4 Likes

I remember this from way back.

6 Likes

Do not pass GO…

As I understand it, back in the day, memorizing a book wasn’t that unusual. People did it for fun.

6 Likes

Without having watched the video, I think the best way to memorize a chapter of Moby Dick is to memorize chapter 122, which is as follows:

Hopefully it doesn’t take a full four days to memorize that one.

In all honesty, while memorizing a chapter of Moby Dick is impressive, it’s not as impressive as memorizing a chapter of most books, given Moby Dick has very short chapters in general, it just has a lot of them.

6 Likes

“Alexa, read Moby Dick.

5 Likes

Any lead actor in an Aaron Sorkin series: “Hold my beer.”

3 Likes

Was it that bad?
Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that music creates a fascinating mnemonic that tends to stick things in our heads far better than just rote memorization. Thus, Schoolhouse Rock.

1 Like

That tome is just so girthy, i’m having trouble handling that Moby Dick.

2 Likes

The whale, just look at it.

1 Like

It’s a technique with a long history of being effective for the recall of large texts.

It’s described in this (somewhat older) source:

6 Likes

“They call me Ishmael… something something… for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee…”

6 Likes

No, that was meant as a pitch for the book.

I was going to suggest the same chapter!