Documentary about Moby-Dick devotees

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/07/documentary-about-moby-dick-de.html

6 Likes
5 Likes

How would you make the case for somebody with a reading list already longer than they could possibly read in this life, to place Moby-Dick near the top? I think it was on our reading list in high school, but I never did read it.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I read that entire post and I still don’t know whether these fans refer to themselves as “dick-heads”

14 Likes

Let’s eat!

Some of the best Kabobs around!

6 Likes

I did exactly that, some years back.

It was good.

It was not the best book I ever read. I would not read it again. I would not read it aloud, even for a very good paycheck. I would not hang out with the Moby Dick fans, listening to their lame-ass whaling puns.

5 Likes

I don’t know if I will re-read it but I sure enjoyed it the first time in my 40’s.
It’s so funny.

4 Likes

Are we meeting in a bar? Because I might… Lord knows I’ve enjoyed a drink or two while baseball fans argue about how Babe Ruth would fare against modern pitching. It can’t be worse than that, right? (and I say that as someone who loves baseball)

5 Likes

I was thinking maybe the less inflammatory, “Moby-Dorks”. :wink:

6 Likes

Ishmael waking up to find Queequeg sharing his bedroom really made me giggle.

3 Likes

Try the humpback!

6 Likes

I can’t help but think back to the planing of the bench by the innkeeper right at the start.
But there are more funny bits than not, in my estimation.

2 Likes

Mostly what @Boundegar said.
I think it is worth reading and I would probably read it again. It rambles here and there but it is an interesting meditation on being human.

That said I don’t think it is required reading for everyone and I definitely don’t like it as much as the folk in this film.

5 Likes

Perhaps read a few of his shorter novellas like Benito Cereno or Billy Bud first. The time commitment is short they’re great in their own rights and you can get a sense of Melville. Personally, I love Moby Dick but wouldn’t suggest that everyone should read it, however I might suggest that more people would enjoy it than might ever give it the chance.

6 Likes

I just came across this author recently:

About Drew Williams

Drew Williams has been a bookseller in Birmingham, AL since he was sixteen years old. Although he got the job because someone had called in sick the day he applied, working with books became a vocation. It is full of amazing moments like arguing with coworkers about whether Moby Dick is a brilliant encapsulation of the human condition (it’s not) or an overlong, over-obvious metaphor for futility (it is.)

3 Likes

8 Likes

REALLY miffed that these so-called “documentarians” snubbed me for their film. I never even got a call!

2 Likes

As a sailor, this is sort’a a bible for us, or at least one of them.

7 Likes

Gah, Moby Dick. Why some people are so besotted with it is beyond me. If I need a refresher on obsession and human futility, I’ll go watch Curse of Oak Island for a couple hours. At least there’s schadenfreude to keep me entertained. And Canadians.

Could be worse… could be Faulkner

2 Likes