How to mix oil and water without adding another ingredient

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/03/how-to-mix-oil-and-water-witho.html

1 Like

Prediction: Soon we will see hucksters selling degassed water as a safe, natural alternative to soap. Rinse your hands with degassed water and dry them off immediately! It’s better for the environment!

3 Likes

This means you can use degassed water alone to remove grease from clothes.

So all you need is access to a washing machine + giant vacuum chamber. Or some kind of commercial or industrial washing machine that can pull a vacuum. Got it.

3 Likes

But then what happens when you dilute the soap 10:1 in the degassed water? And then dilute it again and again? Soon you’ve got SuperSoap, a universal solvent, which will burn its way to the center of the Earth and release beings entombed there that will make Cthulhu cower and whine.

6 Likes

This means you can use degassed water alone to remove grease from clothes.

:brain: = :fire:
:exploding_head:

1 Like

DILUTE! DILUTE! OK!

(Complete sentence added so it’ll post, sigh.)

3 Likes

It’s a good thing homeopathy is fake so your dire predictions can never come to pass.

1 Like

The original research that inspired this was conducted by Ric Pashley, then at the Australian National University in Canberra. His results were reported in The Journal of Physical Chemistry B , vol 107, p 1714.

3 Likes

i’d totally love some sort of fancy vacuum chamber washer and dryer! it could be so much more efficient and environmental if engineered properly.

1 Like

also, he shook both with the big air bubble in the top of the test tube with 3 drops of oil, then decided to add 5 more drops because it wasn’t nearly enough, still wasn’t nearly enough, but that water was no longer degassed after shaking like that. i would have scrapped and reshot that scene properly.

1 Like

Make mayo.

Usually it gets other ingredients, but if you are some kind of a pervert they can be excluded.

2 Likes

i prefer dry water, you don’t even have to get wet. it can be hard to get, i have to make my own by melting dry ice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The great thing about homeopathy is if anyone ever ODs there a quick easy fix, give them a bunch more!

1 Like

So is this where oil babies come from?

55%20PM

4 Likes

Nice. I was about to post that very same cite. I wasn’t aware of this phenomenon but it’s what I found after Googling, and it might have some implications I can use. I do have access to equipment that can pull a decent vacuum and I’m going to have to try this.

Neat.

Cool beans, but man is that guy’s way of communicating annoying. I’m really shocked he’s so popular.

1 Like

Do you guys not realize that the video totally fails to prove the claims being made ?
The oil does separate in his experiment, just slower than usual.
And " you can use degassed water alone to remove grease from clothes.", that’s wishful thinking.

I always add gas to my bath water. The bubbles make a lovely sound.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.