When you put Alka Seltzer, oil and water in a glass, here's what happens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/16/when-you-put-alka-seltzer-oil.html

7 Likes

CHUG IT! CHUG IT! CHUG IT!

I heard the version with bleach tablets cures COVID-19.

13 Likes

So, what would be potable equivalents? Asking for a friend… :tropical_drink:

3 Likes

You can float different spirits, liqueurs and mixers. No reason why this wouldn’t work.

5 Likes

i suppose, after it’s done, one could add a tablespoon of vinegar and throw it over a salad… particularly if one had a headache; as there’s aspirin in the Alka-Seltzer™

4 Likes

This looks almost exactly like the bacon fat washing I did of whiskey last night, except there was no fountain effect.

I wonder if putting Alka-Seltzer in a mix would still make it drinkable…

Fat washing whiskey changes the actual texture of the alcohol and all you do is add a ratio of one part fat to 10 parts whiskey. I added hot fresh bacon grease but you can use refrigerated grease if you save your bacon fat. Just stir it up every couple hours for an evening and then stick it in the fridge overnight. Same time tommorrow it’s ready, just pour through coffee filter (you don’t drink the fat!)

If Alka-Seltzer is basically just putting off CO2 for the effect, they make CO2 tablets for aquariums. I am not sure if they are safely edible if cut to a smaller size but it may be possible.

Thinking of using pre fat washed whiskey, with more fresh hot bacon fat added and a CO2 tablet for this same effect, and maybe some other things for a show of a cocktail but then you run it through a filter right before drinking (so you don’t chug hot bacon grease!)

Folks I’ve either invented a new cocktail there or a very tasty way to die not sure which!

Please do not try this unless somebody a professional mixologist vets that this is safe with CO2 tablets- otherwise this sounds like something Donnie 2 scoops might come up with🤣

4 Likes

Where did the GREEN come from? I think they’ve invented GREEN:

Lord Percy : After literally an hour’s ceaseless searching, I have succeeded in creating gold, pure gold.

Blackadder : Are you sure?

Lord Percy : Yes, my lord. Behold.

Blackadder : Percy… it’s green.

Lord Percy : That’s right, my lord.

Blackadder : Yes, Percy, I don’t want to be pedantic or anything, but the colour of gold is gold. That’s why it’s called gold. What you have discovered, if it has a name, is “green”.

Lord Percy : Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

11 Likes

I imagine you could do this with your favorite flavor of Emergen-C as well.

1 Like

Perhaps this is the Alka Seltzer version with the cold medicine in it, hence the green flecks you see at the beginning?

1 Like

Looks like a new cocktail to me.
Maybe with reefer in it.

2 Likes

There are some things Man is not meant to know. Making baby Rovers, not smart. Be seeing you.

1 Like

what are the black spheres? Those were there before, they weren’t created by some reaction (that would have been cool)

Really, the effect is 90% from the alka-seltzer. We take alka-seltzer for granted.

4 Likes

Fizzies drink tablets used to exist (they returned to the market again recently but then stopped being made again). https://www.oldtimecandy.com/pages/fizzies-drink-tablets

I experimented with them for a version of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster a while back but the artificial flavoring was too much for me to get past.

However, one could probably make them at home with bicarbonate of soda and citric acid. They are effectively miniature bath bombs.

4 Likes

The specific gravities of oil and water are wildly different and ensure that they remain separated. Alcohol and water have similar specific gravities (though not identical; alcohol is a bit lighter) and would quickly become mixed into solution when agitated by the Alka Seltzer. The same follows for liqueurs and such. You can layer them, but that depends upon minimizing agitation.

I think they’re Kirby Dots!

3 Likes

Now try this in Zero-G. :wink:

1 Like

Now that would be great

Not sure what your point is. Yes, alcohol and water solutions are miscible, but they do layer quite well depending on what you’re doing. Yes, an alka seltzer would end up mixing them more than two immiscible fluids, but my response was to an inference that this could be done with a cocktail… which it can.

Edited for precision of language.

1 Like

Does the normal ‘cold’ tablet create GREEN when dissolved? I don’t think so. (And who would drink it if it did?)

No, these amazing alchemists have created pure GREEN from base liquids.

@FGD135
Now THAT is a nugget of the purest GREEN possible!!!

1 Like