How to pronounce GIF

Q: what does the pronunciation of any one word have to do with the pronunciation of any other English word?

#A: FUCK ALL

9 Likes

could you expand on this hypothesis?

7 Likes

The new-ish California State University Channel Islands insists that CSUCI is pronounced “see-sushi”. Yeah, nice try. It’s “see-sucky”. Bonus points for the fact that it’s located on the grounds of a former state mental institution.

6 Likes

Q: Why did the computer programmer die in the shower?

A: The shampoo bottle said “Lather, rinse, repeat.”

10 Likes

Whenever the wife asks what took me so long in the shower I tell her that I read the shampoo instructions…

9 Likes

8 Likes

Pung if you are from New Zealand

Sorry I could not hylp myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

jif? it’s a jaypack!

1 Like

Indeed. How do you say other file extensions? I find no rhyme or reason to guide us here.

jpg & jpeg: jay-peg
doc: doc
exe: ee echs ee
png: pee in jee
txt: text

3 Likes

Uh…

Is this where I confess I actually say “dot tea ex tea file”?

6 Likes

this goes back to my argument that ease-of-use (or ease of saying/mouthing?) and the consensus of how the end users actually use these words is as official as we’ll ever get. memetics, basically.

2 Likes

Hey, at least you don’t say “kimp?”.
:monkey_face:

Well, technically the former is an inefficient software product, the latter an inefficient language.

SQL is best pronounced “squeal” for the simple reason that Tandem/Compaq/HP has a database product called “Nonstop SQL”. Also it works better for verbing the noun - “Gimme a minute, Jim, and I’ll squeal that for you”. And you can kick the database server and shout “Squeal! Squeal like a pig!” when you’re mad at it.

8 Likes

The name of the file format should not be settled by people who do not know what CompuServe was.

CIS forever.

8 Likes

I can contribute! See that horizontal line way out there, where the ocean meets the sky? It’s the WHORE-uh-ZON. 'Cause it’s WHORE-uh-ZON-tal.

2 Likes

Gah! See how our acronyms get out of date.

2 Likes

Well it cracked me up even if it wasn’t intentional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 360 days. New replies are no longer allowed.