How to pronounce "Iguana" in English correctly

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/06/how-to-pronounce-iguana-in.html

8 Likes

This makes me amused at the thought of people getting the pronunciation wrong. A clear example of:

11 Likes

BBQ Iguana!

11 Likes

The iguana one was not funny, but the shenanigans video did get a laugh out of me :smiley:

7 Likes

Brings whole new meaning to the old phrase: “The iguana in the room.”

9 Likes

Brilliant I will never correct a non-native English speaker again!

At first reading the title I thought what about the more common similar words like Jaguar and Oregano, which Americans pronounce very differently to English people.

4 Likes

Not exactly the wall Trump has in mind!

2 Likes

The iguana one was funny if you didn’t know what to expect, which I didn’t. It made me laugh. The shenanigans one was just pitiful (although it made me laugh too).

2 Likes

As I was pressing play, I was thinking "if this s a joke vid (Beschizza post, so 70/30 split…) I bet they just say ‘Lizard’ " and ended up a little disappointed that they went even further into left field…

2 Likes

I didn’t know what to expect either but the bait-and-switch wasn’t terribly amusing. The shenanigans one i did find funny because of the lazy pronunciation *:*P

I didn’t even pay attention to the poster, but once I watched… I knew it had to be @beschizza

This is actually called a garrobo by the locals, and they are not as plentiful as they once were. During lean times, they are invited to become the BBQ.

6 Likes

How could you laugh at something @Grey_Devil has declared to be not funny? I think this makes you a bad person.

1 Like

Damn right :smiley:

1 Like

Are you saying their laughter is invalid? Are you joke-policing now?:smirk_cat:

5 Likes

O God the meta - It burns!

1 Like

a met(h)ane fire?

1 Like

This reminded me of the joke whiskey pronunciations, but I can only find the real ones. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Well, Rob’s finally lost it.

5 Likes

Brilliant.