How to remember the top 10 things to bring when you leave the house

Nopenopenope…

Never go full fanny pack…

6 Likes

Yeah, I have a little song for the things I have to remember day-to-day “keys, wallet, badge,” etc. that I go through as I’m getting ready to go, then I either leave odd things that I have to remember in front of the door, or sometimes put things in the car on the driver’s seat when I remember I’ll need them so they’ll remind me when I’m rolling out.

Male catholics have this sorted.

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch…

2 Likes

Tattoos are more reliable. “Remember Sammy Jankis” has gotten me out of many a scrape, I think.

7 Likes

Came here to say that an older male acquaintance of mine used to say the same thing. But I thought it was comb instead of watch.

Also, @daneel - @bobechs beat you to it!

I need a number that rhymes with “read the comments first”.

6 Likes

I use crazy glue, then you can’t leave it behind.

3 Likes

Downloading to my old Kindle now.
Hope to remember to read this soon.
Thank goodness my short term memory loss does not erase our Kindle family Library.
;-}

1 Like

Ooh, but what if you want to wander off without a purse? (I would do this more often if more of my clothes had decent POCKETS). I have a handy pocket stuck to my phone that holds my license and debit card, and usually that’s enough, but it lets me do dumb things like head out to Costco without my membership card.

1 Like

It’s a Cockney thing, you wouldn’t understand.

Ten things when leaving the house?! Ten things?! Wow!

I count two: Wallet and keys.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s the problem!

1 Like

Well, that one isn’t about remembering if you have the things, it’s about remembering the sign of the cross…

I hate stuff like this, not just because of the built-in cultural biases in the example triggers, but because I’d get lost in them. “Guns shooting pills” would leave me wondering if I’d planned to buy Pez dispensers for the nieces, or if my brother had asked me to stop buying Pez dispensers for the nieces because they get too much candy.

But wait, no, it wasn’t about Pez, but the only place to buy Pez in the neighbourhood is that place with the British grocery section at the back – did I mean to remind myself to pick up some Heinz beans?

Wait, what are we trying to memorise again?

I have fairly strict rules about “take off and landing strips” – the idea is from Apartment Therapy. Keys, purse, and whatever else get put away in the same places as soon as I walk in the door – which means I know exactly where they are and can grab them easily on the way out. Also useful for things like library books – put them in the takeoff area and you’ll pick them up as you step out.

4 Likes

There’s always options like “Hang a whiteboard by the door,” or “check a list on my phone.” I say this as someone with the memory of a goldfish. In school I was the kid that got on the bus without his backpack or showed up to the concert without his trumpet (yes, both happened at least once each). Today I’m the guy that fails to bring the lunch he packed the night before, or bring the list to the grocery store. For me, at least, this method would only make things worse.

2 Likes

Ha! I have a Madden fanny pack from the 80s, a Black Diamond from the 90s, and a Mountainsmith I use now, but only for actual outdoorsy stuff. I was one of those dudes rocking the birkenstocks and socks.

1 Like

If I didn’t have so much grading to do, I’m sure I could come with a haiku using murse and merkin. Another lost opportunity!

My door to the garage is next to the fridge. Anything I put in front of the door, I have to move if I want to open either the house door or the fridge door. I can’t count the number of times I’ve placed something in front of the door to remember it, moved it to get a drink of water in the morning, and forgotten to take it 30 seconds later.

2 Likes

Aren’t at least half of these rhymes from “the ants go marching”?

2 Likes

8 out of the 10 link words are the same as in Harry Lorayne’s classic “The Memory Book”, from the 1974, in the section on memorization for children.

Linking to numbers is a bit ridiculous, as there’s no specific order needed, or any other need to associate them with numbers. It would be better to simply link them to each other, and skip the numbers altogether, as they’re superfluous in this case.

The usual things I take with me, I simply put all in the same place. If there’s something unusual i need to remember to take with me, I put it in front of the door, making it impossible to miss. If it’s something you’re supposed to do or need to remember before you leave, you can put a trigger object on the door, such as hanging a baseball cap on the doorknob.

3 Likes