How to remove all tourists from your travel shots

Titling a menu item “Mode” might cause some confusion, as the term is not very often encountered in its statistical sense. Better to be inaccurate but clear.

This trick is an oldie, but an interesting one. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with particularly busy spots (at least, it didn’t the handful of times I tried it - I wasn’t patient enough to stay there shooting for hours, filling up memory cards with thousands of shots)

1 Like

I always figure that if there are a bunch of tourists around, you should have made more ambitious travel plans

1 Like

Maybe I should just try making a program that does it this way and see how well it works.

I just finished my program and, yes, using mode to pick the correct pixel works. It’s just dog slow. And instead of ghosts I tend to get a stray pixel “dust” in locations people heavily traffic. I’ll keep playing with it.

1 Like

10 Likes

Or at least should have gotten up earlier.

As a Midwesterner, I have to point out that prairies are actually quite complex if you know what to look for!

But yeah, a bunch of businesspeople in suits would mar the landscape, no question!

1 Like

Nice shot!

The last time I was at the Louvre, I didn’t bother taking pictures of the Mona Lisa…I concentrated on taking pictures of the insane crowd pushing and shoving with their iPads held up over their heads. Bonus: you can see how tiny the painting is, in comparison.

6 Likes

Thanks! Last time I was at the Louvre the crowds were epic too. I resorted to entertaining myself rather than trying to get nice well composed photos:

Fortunately, my wife was amused rather than horrified.

26 Likes

OMG, I so want to go to museums with you!!!

16 Likes

@chgoliz me too!! Bbs museum Road trip!!

12 Likes

You guys would want to kill me in a museum. I literally get there when they open and am only about a third through when the guards start on the the heavier handed tactics to get me out. I have this thing where I need to spend time with each thing for a while to properly see it. And if there’s Greek or Latin on anything then there’s the extra overhead of struggling to read it, and my Greek and Latin are really rusty. Happily the wife is the same way. When the tour books give a time estimate we multiply by four unless it sounds really cool in which case we add the bonus multiplier.

12 Likes

I don’t spend a huuuge amount of time looking at each artifact (the correct amount of time, I believe), but showing up at opening? Yeah, I do that all. The. Time.

Which reminds me… I haven’t been to the San Jose Egyptian museum in 14 years…

4 Likes

Is that the one that’s run by the Rosicrucians? I went to the SJ Egyptian Museum long ago, it was fun, though the docents/people running it were a bit intense. Very into Egyptian religion and talking about the Ka and its journey. Weird, but the good weird.

2 Likes

Sure is! And I adopted the sweetest kitten after going there (her name is Psyche though)

Eta

Wonder if @khepra would join me, it would be fun! (I am not being facetious, it would be fun)

2 Likes

I implemented both averaging systems in my program. To show the difference, here is a crop of the worst location. This is from a series of 7 pictures.

You can see yellow, white, and black bits from the uniform of the crossing guard because he keeps appearing in the same locations. I think with more photos or a little more work on my logic this can go away, and do it in fewer photos than the ghosts of the mean algorithm will.

The doors of the blue car were constantly opened and closed throughout the series of photos. This kind of behavior is always going to look bad unless you use a region comparing algorithm instead of these pixel comparing algorithms…

8 Likes

And do remember the fixed grin

Nah. Zombie apocalypse shots be fine.

1 Like

Nice technique to get people out of frame. I’m not sure I’d ever use it though. I like to capture moments in time. I either go where the people aren’t if I don’t want people in the frame, or try to find an interesting way to bring the human element into the situation. I suppose if you want sterile backgrounds this is cool. I’m going to place it within a rung of selfies or hero shots though, unless you somehow capture an interesting landscape.

1 Like

9:30am is the best part of Christmas. I go downtown and lay down in the empty streets.

8 Likes