How to remove all tourists from your travel shots

I think it is just a problem all Jeeps have.

4 Likes

Neato! :slightly_smiling:

Also possible from GIMP (with G’MIC) or from the command line:
convert *.jpg -evaluate-sequence median OUT.jpg

http://blog.patdavid.net/2013/05/noise-removal-in-photos-with-median_6.html`

2 Likes

Shoot them first.

3 Likes

You would definitely be there from opening until they pried your knuckles off the exhibits at the close!

4 Likes

Phase shifting was a recall issue on some 2012 models from the Roswell plant.

4 Likes

It’s a neat system, but I also think there’s something to be said for the good old-fashioned approach of waiting. Patience is a skill at which we could probably all use some practice, and I find vacations are a perfect opportunity. It may even be the case that thinking about your shot a little more will give better results, and making sure that the situation you’re photographing is actually happening will probably encourage you to look more at the subject and less at the camera, ensuring your memories exist in your head as well as on your Flickr/Twitter/Instagram stream.

Here’s an example of me trying to get a particular shot some years ago, where I feel a little extra effort was well worth it: http://dave-morris.tumblr.com/post/16574121007/medersa2011

6 Likes

The tip-off came when Stalin started asking them to move around more during photos.

10 Likes

Go to the Louvre.

Hah. Yeah. This is as close as I got.

What I love is that the Louvre has a very simple system for orienting tourists: basically, if you’re not in the room with the Mona Lisa, you’re probably lost, so there are signs on every surface in every part of the museum with an image of the Mona Lisa and an arrow.

2 Likes

Awesome.

This was kind of how I felt at the end of the second extended hours day there:

8 Likes

That’s kind of how I imagine Omaha.

2 Likes

Crowds are really exhausting, we did one day last time. My wife was in a wheelchair so it was extra torturous. I remember looking at that Oedipus relief and thinking “hey, that’s wrong, it should be needles, not a dagger.”

3 Likes

So true. Meanwhile, the rooms with the Vermeers and Dürers are blissfully empty. Tourists are dumb!

6 Likes

A few points of general interest:

• Chicago is centrally located for all North Americans, and has two international airports;

• We have the #1 museum in the world (The Art Institute of Chicago);

• We have two museums physically housed in buildings built for each of the two world fairs (Museum of Science and Industry, the Columbian Exposition; Art Institute, Century of Progress);

• We have over 100 museums in total, and if you include the greater Chicagoland area (translation: the suburbs) there are even more.

Just saying.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve seen this :smiley:

4 Likes

Is that the same one that is now in Seattle, or another one?

Chicago. I was there for… 18 hours.

I still can’t believe they closed Meigs Field.

Chicago might be central for some Americans, but for me it is a 4000 mile slog.

When I was a kid Science and Industry was free, and there was a dirt parking lot hidden off to the side that always had empty spots and where you could park, also for free. That made it easy to just drop in on impulse and kill a half hour there. Without that easy early access to science education my career path might have been very different

2 Likes

No, I get that the photo was in Chicago, but Seattle now has a similar sculpture by the same artist. I knew Seattle’s came from somewhere else, so I was wondering if it was Chicago but it seems that it was from New York.

I’ve never seen this artists work before then. I had a good time tramping around downtown Chicago. Let’s see if I can find any other photos…