Rude tourists in Kyoto receive politeness lessons

[Read the post]

1 Like

No own food and drink in restaurants? Those crazy Japanese and their weird customs -_-

1 Like

I’m amazed that people have to be told not to harrass somebody to take a photo, including tugging at clothing.

Or that they dont end up getting punched.

3 Likes

While I am hardly a world traveler, I have had a few trips and I have seen people from many nationalities, including Japan, do rather rude things to get a picture or doing something disrespectful in a church (which in Europe often doubles as a cemetery).

I really want to go to Japan with a friend next year, but I am not 100% sure I can swing it financially. Might need to do some freelance work again.

2 Likes

Those are mostly rules any tourist could use. Here in jolly old Whtby ( UK ) there is a minority of arsehole tourists doing rude and stupid things.
This is worse when lots of alcohol is consumed naturally.
This also applies to the locals LOL

:sunny:

7 Likes

Hmmm nothing about standing in the middle of street blocking traffic as you take pictures of your family which I witnessed a Japanesse family doing in Savanna last month.

I’ve worked around tourist for decades dumb tourist are dumb tourist they come from every corner of the world.

10 Likes

A Chinese colleague of mine showed some pictures of her trip to Japan. At one of the shrines/gardens, tourists can dress in traditional garb. She decided to give it a try. Her build, facial features, and demeanor are close enough to Japanese that nearly everyone thought she was a local. Spot on perfect. Apparently even Japanese tourists were posing with her, unaware she was actually a tourist like them.

Just something to keep in mind next time you are taking pictures of the locals.

7 Likes

They should have these for every major tourist city in the world. Jerky tourists won’t have the excuse of ignorance any more, and the rest of us will be better educated about less obvious things (like the tipping and taxi doors).

2 Likes

I don’t think this has to be a “Western tourists in Japan are worse/better than Japanese tourists in the west” fight for it to be a helpful & good idea for communicating local norms, customs & unexpected penalties to visitors (5 years for riding a bike drunk would be a deeply unpleasant surprise to many people). I really enjoy the three degrees of angry face for communicating just how much of a fuck-up each thing on the list is.

10 Likes

It was many years ago that I visited Kyoto. Good memories. (Tip: don’t bother trying to visit the Kyoto Convention Center; there’s really nothing out there, despite how famous it is.)

Curious that there’s an entry for “Don’t Litter”. Have things changed? I would have suggested, “Don’t ask where the nearest trashcan is. There isn’t one. Please carry your garbage around for the rest of the day.”

I also recall seeing at least one Japanese poster raising public awareness about taking “candid” photos of women, because rudeness apparently isn’t limited to tourists.

2 Likes

Considering how stringent maiko training is, and how they have a strict protocol for nearly every activity, the thought of people just grabbing at them and treating them like mascots is really disheartening.

Semi-related anectdote: My high school was a private girls school with a very dapper uniform (white shirt, red necktie and navy blazer/pleated skirt) that was right beside a central tourist hub around Ottawa, Canada. Oftentimes we’d have crowds of Japanese tourists excitedly snapping photos of us when we’d be strolling outside on lunch break. Back then I wondered why they were so interested but later I figured it was because they were amused to see Canadian school kids wearing their familiar ‘sailor suits’. That said, they thankfully always kept a safe distance and never grabbed anyone.

2 Likes

I am reminded of an old David Letterman top ten joke: “In Japan, it is considered rude to punch a flight attendant.”

5 Likes

I once visited Japan with a 6’5" friend of mine who spoke Japanese fluently. When walking in public, people gaped at him, took pictures, and constantly made comments about him; we walked by some schoolgirls and he laughed – "They’re saying “look at that monster! Huge! So huge!”.

As with any culture, folks don’t think it’s rude if they think you can’t figure out what they’re doing.

4 Likes

I wonder how preposterous the drunk-cycling gaijin hijinks must have been to prompt a “five years in jail” type strengthening.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that only occurs in particularly rural areas. Is that where you were?

No, this occurred repeatedly on the streets of Tokyo, especially around Harajuku and Ueno Park areas.

[quote=“gothicgeek, post:5, topic:64827, full:true”]
Those are mostly rules any tourist could use. Here in jolly old Whtby ( UK ) there is a minority of arsehole tourists doing rude and stupid things. [/quote]
I used to visit Whitby regularly (maybe monthly) when I lived in Beverley years ago, but mainly for the food; there was a coffee shop whose sweets I was addicted to. I hope the only rude and stupid thing I did was travel so far just for a piece of cake.

2 Likes

You can feel insulted at that remark. Or you can immitate Gojira.
Choice is yours.

9 Likes

For most people, he just chuckled and smiled, but for the schoolgirls saying “Huge! Huge!” he just turned, gave a little bow, and said “arigato gozaimasu”. They squealed and scurried away.

12 Likes

Julie Chen had the same experience at Disneyland. Everyone wanted a picture with Mulan.

1 Like