How to: run a small social network for you and your friends.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/roll-your-own.html

3 Likes

You can also run your own discourse just like this one for $5/month in the :cloud:, or $0/month if you happen to already have a Docker compatible Linux server on the internet:

30 minute cloud setup is specifically at https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Here’s to small, curated communities :beers:

14 Likes

I read that as “how to ruin a small social network for you and your friends.” I already know how to do that!

15 Likes

Good heavens, I can’t fathom why one would pay $30/mo for hosting… I’ve run a full-scale LAMP server at home for well over 15 years, over DSL and Cable. First, on an old desktop and now as a VM. I’ve managed up to a dozen domains and their email for absolutely free. Personal websites, blogs, neighbor’s business sites, neighborhood site. Well maybe not absolutely free. The old hardware cost maybe $50/yr in electricity and a/c. The VM costs nothing extra now since it’s on a powerful machine which I leave on 24/7 anyway. I’ve had bulletin boards, chat rooms, mailing lists, and could run Discourse easily too. Sure, when the power goes out or the Internet is down, my host goes offline. I think it’s been down a total of 4 hours in the last 10 years.

5 Likes

I think it would be hard to replicate the moderators and posters here, regardless of what flavor of linux I put on my Docker :wink:

9 Likes

e

6 Likes

I just use email.

4 Likes

Depending on what people post there, it can result in the FBI raiding your house :frowning:

HOW DO I KNOW THIS: we don’t host websites in our basement anymore

18 Likes

Some would consider that a feature… ymmv.

9 Likes

I ran a multi-line dial up bbs in the 90s. It was THE online community for the DC area until the internet became ubiquitous. And I moved it onto the web, but there was so many other places for people to chat that it just fizzled away. I pulled the plug on the message board in 2001, but I still own the domain name and there’s a picture of a tombstone if you go there now. What few people were left just regrouped on Facebook. I don’t really know why anyone would want the hassle of doing it now, with the spammers and griefers and all of the headaches. Facebook sucks, but everyone is already there. Except me.

8 Likes

I don’t quite want to be ‘that guy who recommends Discord for everything’ but honestly… why not just set up a Discord? It’s free (though you can pay for extra features) and it’s relatively simple to operate/moderate. Are user specific newsfeeds that important or useful?

3 Likes

I looked into Discord for a community I was trying to get rolling. Less-technical users find the homepage and messaging way too gamery.

2 Likes

This is a take-away I can understand. Probably even worthwhile to mention to the developers.

2 Likes

Learn to code

The important word is small. If your audience is 5 people you know very well, you probably don’t require a ton of moderation. Those people do need to show up regularly for it to work, though!

Five years into the mission, the mod tools in Discourse are quite good if and when you need them.

1 Like

I sense there is a story here.

3 Likes

We used to call this a “forum”

Met all my best friends and my wife on one of those old things, 15 years ago. It’s still going!

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been on a number of good forums over the years, but most of them are empty places these days where even the people who used to run them are like, “Have you heard of Facebook?”

2 Likes

Is there a fork where you cannot use the letter “e”?

7 Likes

It’s difficult to do, but not all that hard. Just stay short and twist your words. You can accomplish it.

5 Likes