How to: run a small social network for you and your friends.

I suppose I could take a look at it, but what I need in a social network more than anything else is an event planner tool, with discussion and gallery. Yes, I am an Ingress player, and making BAFs that cover entire cities require planning. Heck, even doing a flip of an annoying Smurf’s hood needs event management.

Right now, I find our needs met by Telegram. But barely. The Event Bot is alright, but leaves something to be desired

Ah, fond memories of running a BBS for myself and my friends.

These days Telegram is the closest thing.

Seconded. Please share!

4 Likes

Mine are far less fond, unless you’re being sarcastic

No, honestly! Back in the day my friends and I had a BBS/MUCK with maybe only a dozen members, and being text-only it wasn’t prone to the upload-spam, gif-spam, or sticker-spam that seems to substitute for actual conversation on most chat services these days. For awhile there it was a great way to keep in touch with people from all over the country in one spot with zero hassle.

3 Likes

The benefit of a Mastadon instance is that it can be integrated into the larger federated system. So you can run a small social network that can tie into a larger one.

This does imply additional moderation duties, though, for example blocking the Nazi scumbag Gab instance of Mastadon as so many other instances have found themselves having to do:

5 Likes

There’s always Slack.

We have a Discord and a Slack for a group of my writer friends. We’ve had the Slack for a while; I started the Discord when we started having weird technical issues on Google Hangouts.

I’ve actually been a reader for a very long time, I had a string of negative experiences on other venues and kind of gave up on persistent pseudoanonous identity til I started posting here.

(Reddit doesn’t count no one becomes e friends on Reddit)

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s likely where we’ll likely end up. I was kind of hoping to use Matrix, but the cost was going to be too high. I actually wanted to do a Mastodon instance like the article, but figured if my audience is not technical, that might be much.

2 Likes

Eeeeee e eeeeeeee.

1 Like

Well yes, but that’s true of Twitter or FB, too - and the post is about creating a small instance for your friends - as in, it pre-requires a network :slight_smile:

Discourse is excellent for this, whether it’s 5 people or thousands as it is here. There’s a vibrant plugin community if you want to keep your environment small and private, or pull in news links, or whatever, too.

I’m also a fan of both mastodon and diaspora, but to me that’s more the FB-vs-twitter divide - persistent posts versus mostly ephemeral conversations.

If your goal isn’t to create a large public community, your options are plentiful.

6 Likes

Was just trying to low key tip my hat to the staff - I’m sure it’s fine software for a more intimate community :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think that running Mastodon is going to help Gab that much. I doubt anyone in the current Fediverse will federate with them. Most of their users will be using web access, which will continue their problem in keeping web hosting. Some groups (Atomwaffen) will create their own nodes, which will give Gab plausible denial, but then they’ll probably start net-copping each other’s posts. The faction fights will be interesting, and hopefully each of those nodes will make juicy LEO targets, even if they don’t believe in white male terrorists.

eta: and if Gab spawns a Terran Empire of Mastodon nodes, how does their revenue model work? (What’s their exit strategy? They can’t go public for FuckYouMoney. Facebook won’t buy them out, ditto. A massive influx of money from the usual far-right bastard trusts and foundations? Maybe.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.