How to save your ass if the Boeing 737 MAX you're flying decides to nosedive

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/29/how-to-save-your-ass-if-the-bo.html

4 Likes

That’s great, I’ll let my pilot know.

6 Likes

Okay, now I know what to do, but the situation would still be somewhat stressful.

UWOBsrz%5B1%5D

20 Likes

FINALLY, a reason to post this other than politics!

27 Likes

0sEozeH

12 Likes

(heh, the joke loses some nuance when you can read the word “Shirley” instead of “surely.”)

14 Likes

Unfortunately the pilots won’t have 20 minutes to watch it when the nose dives.

4 Likes

“Unlikely”? Have you seen none of the Airport films? I never board a plane without assuming that I will be called on to land the plane. Same goes for medical emergencies on the ground.

“Is anyone a doctor?!?”
“Pretty much! I have an incomplete PhD in art history!”

20 Likes

The fast-forward button on Youtube videos is freakin’ delightful, isn’t it? (So useful that I expect it will be a casualty of one revamp or another.)

2 Likes

that’s a bad drinking problem for a pilot

6 Likes

Great video. It’s very helpful to see the actual procedures demonstrated in the simulator. I’ve read a lot about how pilots are trained to deal with runaway stabilizer but it doesn’t really hit home until you see it in action.

From what I’ve heard, the Ethiopian pilots had 40 seconds to diagnose and correct the problem prior to impact as they were at very low altitude after takeoff. In the simulator video, the pilots took almost 2 minutes before they manually cutout the runaway stabilizer. It shows that the Ethiopian pilots really had no chance to save the aircraft unfortunately.

13 Likes

Any pilots here? I’m curious, what are the spinning disks near the pilots’ shins on the center console (best visible at 12:53 and 18:20)? The pilot seems to adjust one at 9:49, but the shot is cut off.

Also, I’ve often wondered whether airplanes have horns. Obviously they’re not up there honking at each other like New York taxi drivers, and on the tarmac surely you can hear a giant jet approaching… but at 13:09 you can clearly see a “HORN CUTOUT” switch. Does “horn” have another meaning in this context?

2 Likes

I am not a pilot but the spinning disks at their knees are the manual stabilizer controls. If the plane is under automated control, then these are visual indicators that the stabilizer is moving. Cutting out the electrical power to the stabilizer controls means the pilots then have to manually adjust the stabilizers by turning the wheel.

Pretty sure horn cutout in this context is to switch off the many loud buzzers and warning indicators that might go off in the cockpit during an emergency.

6 Likes

Dang it, I was really hoping there’s an actual horn the pilot can lean on when the ground crew is slow with the jetway or whatever.

5 Likes

And you’re a BBS Captain too. I don’t think there’ll be a problem.

15 Likes

Yeah, this seems like a video that should have been made as short and to the point as possible.

1 Like

So… Boeing kept this jet cheap by stretching a half-century old design into something it was never meant to do, and that can only fly “safely” with electronic helpers? Then aggravated the situation by not telling pilots about it, perhaps fearing to admit that they were basically selling a plane with unsound aerodynamics? Then, found that due to their main customers for this type being located in countries where airlines are more likely to get away with cutting corners in pilot training or airplane maintenance, the likelihood for everything going terribly wrong with this flawed system was far higher than they anticipated? And now try to fix it in software, while the basic design still is dodgy, and their company management culture obviously still is a monumental shit show? Did I get any of this wrong?

6 Likes

Yeah, what were they thinking this was, a military project?

4 Likes

You mean he should have cut out he part about “hey guys!”?

“stabbilizer”

2 Likes